|$85,409 - $101,955
|Feb 26, 2024
Under supervision of the Director, Public Works & Utilities responsible for the computer application software/hardware and other supporting technologies utilized within the Department. In coordination with the City IT Division this incumbent will maintain computer and network capabilities for the Department to effectively utilize Utility SCADA Systems, Asset Management, and their interface with other city systems such as the City’s Financial and GIS Systems for example purposes. Microsoft Windows Server-based applications running in a virtual server and workstation environment, networked Windows Workstations as well as support numerous communications links to multiple remote systems. Duties involve working with the various Deputy Directors and Department staff. The position requires the ability to analyze and resolve conflicting interests and situations in the best interests of the user department(s). This position will also provide updates and expansion of tools to the various systems and provide training on the effective and efficient methods of utilizing various programs and in the input of various information.
- Perform network, communications, application support duties including hardware and software installation, system upgrades, network configuration, and end-user assistance.
- Maintain server and PC operating systems including installation of new O/S versions and Windows updates as well as to support the launch of an updated GIS software program and the city’s new ERP System.
- Perform professional level systems analysis, design, and application coordination in programming and maintaining of systems, PC, network, and mobile data applications.
- Ability to ensure that Utility SCADA Systems, Asset Management CMMS (Cityworks and all other software applications) utilized by the department are being used in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Analyze problems, formulate solutions, and design systems procedures for the users. Recommend systems, documents recommendations, and assist in purchasing of technology-based acquisitions.
- Prepare and maintain system, application, and network documentation files. Develop, modify, and publish user documentation as necessary.
- Maintain, upgrade, and correct any existing system programs, applications, and procedures.
- Assist in developing system design, preparing requests for information (RFI), and writing requests for proposals (RFP) for new systems and/or applications. Working with IT; install, test, and monitor applications systems, as well as monitor contractual compliance by outside vendors and consultants.
- Coordinate maintenance of software and hardware, and customer service between vendors and staff. Conduct research, prepare written reports, develop recommendations, and assist in the budget process.
- Develop, update, and publish long and short-term technology plans.
- Ensure security continuity for user profiles network connectivity, systems, and applications. Assure all networks, applications, and outside connectivity meet federal security guidelines, where applicable.
- As assigned, represent the Public Works and Utilities Department at various meetings and serve on committees and boards regarding information technology and system usage and application.
- Handle vendor and end-user service calls maintaining records of such requests and resolutions.
- Ensure the on-going maintenance of associated applications, servers, and secure connectivity.
- Ability to manage network environment to connect various department users.
- Provide training to staff on the effective use and application of various systems utilized throughout the department.
- Within the SCADA responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization for critical systems to maximize the affectability of software systems utilized by the PW&U department.
- Install and upgrade SCADA or Utilities network computer components and software, manage virtual servers, and integrate automation processes.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software errors by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing impact of issues on SCADA or Utilities network.
- Designs, develops, and administers SCADA system database, network, and communication programming standards.
- Provides technical direction for telecommunications services; plans activities associated with the installation, service, and preventive maintenance of remote site communications facilities and telecommunications systems related to SCADA or Utilities network.
- Will develop Future Capital Projects to create reliable and redundant systems for critical SCADA or Utilities network systems.
- Provide documentation and technical specifications to Leadership staff for planning and implementing new or upgrades of SCADA or Utilities network infrastructure.
- May perform regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures for SCADA or Utilities network.
- Within the Public Works critical systems network the incumbent shall accomplish desktop and helpdesk support efforts, making sure all desktop applications, workstations, internal and external SCADA functions and related equipment problems are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruptions.
- Responsible for capacity, storage planning, and database performance of the SCADA or Utilities network and assets.
- Performs system administration functions for server, storage, network, and workstation platforms; configures and installs software and hardware; monitors and evaluates disk space utilization and system performance; creates and maintains local, user accounts, roles, and access privileges.
- Within the Asset Management Systems Software responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization for critical systems to maximize the affectability of software systems utilized by the PW&U department.
- Coordination with the Power Resources Manager, Legal, and IT Departments, will serve as the City’s lead working with local infrastructure vendors such as Broadband providers to ensure a high degree of reliability of service performed by these providers.
- Within the Geographic Information System (GIS) responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization for critical systems to maximize the affectability of software systems utilized by the PW&U department.
A combination of education and work experience that provides the requisite skills will be considered.
- Associate of Arts Degree in computer science, information systems or a related field. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Five (5) years ‘experience in windows-based systems/server maintenance and network management including the following but not limited to working knowledge of virtualization, SCADA systems, VMWare, GIS, Office 365 Management, end user support, group policy creation, database administration, Fortinet network administration and client-based site to site VPN is preferred. However, applicants with at least 3 years progressive experience in the above may be considered. Additionally, experience in methods of managing and administering server-based operating systems; principles and practices of database design, administration, and functionality; principles, methods, protocols, and techniques in the design, installation, and operation of data, voice, and video communications systems, networks, equipment, devices, and cabling; working knowledge of Asset Management Software Systems such as Cityworks is preferred.
- Current Microsoft MSCE certification; Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP); A+ Certification. courses in data exchange modeling.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Washington State driver’s license within thirty (30) days of appointment, and a good driving record.
The Ideal Candidate will possess the following:
- Knowledge of windows Server Environment
- Knowledge of network maintenance and design
- Knowledge of windows Workstations
- Knowledge of server virtualization
- Knowledge of PC office productivity applications including mail systems.
- Knowledge of SCADA applications and Asset Management software experience a plus.
- Ability to provide professional level support to the City’s SCADA systems and devices.
- Ability to troubleshoot a diverse range of systems hardware and software and make or recommend modifications.
- Ability to install, configure, maintain, and administer networked systems hardware and software including servers.
- Ability to monitor systems performance and recommend and implement changes to optimize system reliability and availability.
- Ability to perform database management and administration tasks including tuning, storage, and backup and recovery measures.
- Ability to develop and implement security measures in assigned technology area.
- Ability to configure, maintain, and manage data and voice communication networks and infrastructure to achieve optimal technical performance and user support.
- Ability to independently organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines, and follow-up on assignments
- Ability to use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Ability to establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to read, understand, and apply federal, state, and local policies, standards, and regulations.
- Ability to maintain general working knowledge of new technology, software, systems, and hardware.
- Ability to conduct thorough systems assessments to determine user requirements and the appropriate action or system development to meet those needs effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to develop, design, and implement quality assurance testing and system performance monitoring.
- Ability to analyze and provide technical recommendations for LAN, MAN, and WAN networks in order to securely meet the needs of the Public Sector community.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of computer systems design tools and methods.
- Ability to review applications and design training for end-users.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective, courteous, and tactful working relationships with the public, elected officials, department heads, co-workers, and end-users.
- Effective verbal communication skills and ability to speak in a clear, concise, and well-modulated voice.
- Good written communication skills and ability to express technical and detailed topics accurately and effectively in written communications.
Systems Coordinator AFSCME Range 28: $85,408.96 - $101, 955.36 annually ($41.062 - $49.017 per hour)
Excellent benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage for employee and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, vacation/sick leave accrual, PERS retirement and deferred compensation plans. Employee shares 12.5% of the medical premium. Position is a member of AFSCME Local #1619
Fill out the online job application located here, attach a cover letter and resume, and submit by February 26th at 5:00 PM.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.