Advanced technical work in computer mapping, cartography, database development and complex analysis to support department projects and programs. Provides project management for major projects coordinating efforts of other team members across departments. Creates and maintains digital layers and maps using ESRI's ArcGIS. This includes creating map topology, feature attributes, annotation, digitizing, and querying. Creates and maintains databases for report building and data querying for mapping. Performs analysis of geographic data using GIS software. Troubleshoots problems experienced by other users.
Note: These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.
- Advanced knowledge of GIS concepts and principles is essential. This knowledge must extend to uses of GIS technology and available application packages so staff may recommend viable solutions for end users including connectivity to other software systems.
- Functions include editing/creating data sets and maps using ArcGIS software. Effectively use Cartographic design concepts to create highly effective presentational maps. Must possess the ability to analyze data and produce interpretative reports.
- Provides GIS support and data access to County Departments and agencies. Reviews and conducts needs analysis of user department requirements and assist in developing and automating department data layers and associated tabular database applications.
- Conducts analysis of data and information layer requests by system users and determines the appropriate methodologies to derive results and produce the required information via map, report, presentation or other format as needed. Creates and maintains project specific documentation and assists in the creation and maintenance of GIS and System Administration documentation.
- Assists in the supervision and training of temporary or student intern staff members. Provides user training to County Departments and agencies on the use of the GIS system.
- Prepares status reports, presentations and/or demonstrations of the County's geographic information systems as required.
- Ability to read and interpret legal descriptions
- Communicates problems with existing software or hardware to supervisor or technical support staff for appropriate action and, where appropriate, assists with problem determination and resolution.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills when responding to user questions and request for service.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Functions as a member of the Department Emergency Operation Center staff during disaster situations.
- Bachelor's Degree in Geography, Cartography, Graphic Arts, Computer Science, or Engineering and two (2) years experience in cartography or mapping, computer assisted design, geographic information systems, and/or computer database analysis required.
- A comparable amount of education, training, or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
- Knowledge of geographic information system technology and terminology. Knowledge of appropriate programming languages. Knowledge of the appropriate uses of GIS technology and available application packages to recommend solutions for end users.
- Ability to evaluate resources, initiate programs, manipulate, analyze, and present data for use by decision makers.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other departments, Constitutional Officers, various governmental agencies, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate abstract and technical information effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to create complete application packages for end users including documentation and training.
- Have knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS), computer database and spreadsheet programs. Have knowledge in computer mapping including geodetic control, naming conventions, attribute data, layering schemes and technical specifications of digital maps.
- Advanced query skills, preferably SQL environment. Knowledge of python and html is a plus.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.