Responsible for designing, planning, and acquisition of City’s geographic information systems. Also, responsible for providing regular training and support for the GIS applications, users and geographic data.
Target Hiring Range: $61,568/yr - $77,688/yr
Essential Job Functions
- Perform basic tasks such as drafting, editing, line cleaning, data entry, spatial analysis and plotting with the City’s GIS hardware/software system to meet the requirements of the GIS and customer departments.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and support all geographic information software in user departments as needed.
- Coordinate internal resources and/or vendors to provide task/problem resolution in a timely manner.
- Follow established internal procedures for problem reporting and resolution.
- Maintain knowledge of changes in technical direction and industry trends by participating in conferences, keeping active in user groups, and by reviewing vendor and professional web sites.
- Perform regular training and orientation sessions on Garland’s GIS systems in a classroom or one-on-one setting, including preparation of printed training materials.
- Research and implement training plans to meet user needs.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures of GIS environment.
- Thoroughly document metadata and workflows as required.
- Analyze and document customer department needs, recommending hardware/software/vendor solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Earth Science, Geography or similar field of study
4-5 years experience in GIS, drafting, database design or related field
- Considerable experience with the acquisition, analysis, and maintenance of digital geographic data using the ESRI suite of software
- Experience with relational databases, Oracle preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of cartography and related concepts, map projections and coordinate systems
- Superior communications skills, both written and verbal with an ability to convey complex technical material to audiences with a varying familiarity with the subject matter, individually and in groups
- Familiarity with Industry standard project planning concepts
- Familiarity with the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) standards and practices
- Familiarity with network and server administration concepts
- Familiarity with Global Positioning Systems
Licenses & Certifications
- Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Occasional outside work.
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Project Management
- Results Focus
- Team Leadership
- Technical Skills
Minimum Education & Work Experience
- Four-year college degree
- 4 years related experience
- Experience with ArcGIS v.10 and above required
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.