This position will establish and maintain a comprehensive, robust Geographic Information System (GIS) capability in District 2 that supports the needs of all functional groups. This position is responsible for establishing processes and procedures for identifying, prioritizing and supporting the District’s GIS data and mapping needs. The employee will be responsible for maintaining various spatial and thematic databases, providing analytic research to support management and functional group priorities, and developing a range of cartographic products to be used for internal and external purposes. The employee will also support the development of District 2’s 10-year Capital Highway Investment Plan and the Northwest Minnesota Area Transportation Partnership’s 4-year Area Transportation Improvement Program; and participate in statewide and District GIS coordination/deployment and asset management planning efforts.
To qualify for Research Analyst Intermediate, GIS option, applicants must meet the following:
- Two (2) years of professional geographic information systems (GIS) experience (e.g., Research Analyst (5L) or higher) that demonstrates all qualifications below.
- Experience in writing technical documents and reports sufficient to properly document how GIS data should be collected, stored, and utilized.
- Experience using GIS applications sufficient to develop, analyze, and oversee geospatial data.
- Experience with assisting and/or training others in the use of CAD, GIS, and other database applications/systems.
A bachelor's or master’s degree in Geography, GIS, Surveying, Engineering, Planning or Computer Science substitutes for one (1) year of professional experience.
In addition to the preceding minimum qualifications, you will be assessed on the following if interviewed:
- Ability to communicate effectively, including facilitate meetings, make presentations, and write memos, letters, and related documents.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally, and in writing, and to speak effectively
- Ability to evaluate communications materials for effectiveness and determine when the quality is adequate for the purpose
- Knowledge of map reading and cartographic concepts including an understanding of map scale, conversion and coordinate systems
- Knowledge of surveying, mapping, and GIS concepts as applied toward planning, asset management, right of way, access control and related property interest concepts and data associated with real estate, highway policies and procedures
**Successful candidate must pass past-employer reference checks and criminal history check**
It is our policy that all candidates submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Education/License Verification
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.
|Category||GIS Analyst, GIS Coordinator|