Research Analysis Specialist - GIS Analyst
State of Minnesota
Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Salary Details||See Job Description|
- The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst supports the work of the Office of Broadband Development (OBD) by providing broadband related mapping coordination, data collection, data analysis and geospatial data collection as it relates to the programs administered by the Office. Those programs include the Border-to-Border Broadband Infrastructure grant program, the Lower Population Density Pilot Program, the Line Extension Connection Program and the Digital Equity Act grant programs and other digital equity initiatives. The primary responsibility of this position is to contribute to the strategy, plan, design, implementation, and maintenance of broadband office mapping programs and related data and applications to ensure compliance with state and federal program requirements including the Broadband Equity, Access and Deployment program, a component of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.
- This position will work closely with the state’s broadband mapping contractor, partners, and colleagues to coordinate broadband and digital equity related data collection activities and develop new state broadband map layers. This position will work with OBD staff, including broadband grant administrators and digital equity staff, and stakeholders to handle design, maintenance, updates, grant compliance, and troubleshooting of broadband maps, dashboards, websites and data collection. This position will be responsible for identifying, analyzing and interpreting large data sets related to broadband access, affordability and adoption in the state.
- The GIS Analyst reports to the Executive Director of the Office of Broadband Development and takes daily work direction from the Deputy Director. This is a position requiring attention to detail, GIS experience, and an ability to prioritize work and resources while meeting deadlines.
- This posting may be used to fill multiple positions.
To receive credit for your education and experience, your resume should clearly describe how you meet each minimum and/or preferred qualification listed, including dates of employment.
- Two (2) years* of professional training or experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Experience collecting and processing geospatial data and using the data for cartography or map making. Experience with various Esri GIS tools or products such as ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS for Developers, etc.
- *Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Cartography or other closely related field as determined by the agency may substitute one (1) year of experience OR a bachelor's degree in any field with a certificate in Geographic Information Systems may substitute one (1) year of experience
- Applicants that meet the above minimum qualification will be further evaluated on the following:
- GIS Experience in telecommunications, broadband, digital equity or for grant compliance
- Written and oral communication skills to articulate complex procedures in plain English
- Experience working as part of a team to complete large-scale, complex projects
- Ability to pay attention to details
- Incumbent must maintain valid driver's license, & insurance, OR have other reliable transportation
- Telecom/Cable/Internet Service Provider industry experience
- Experience creating maps and data sets by compiling information from multiple data sources
- Our employees are dedicated to ensuring cultural responsiveness. Preferred candidates will have a variety of experiences working effectively with others from different backgrounds and cultures
This position requires successful completion of the following:
- Resumes of all applicants to this posting will be evaluated against the Minimum Qualifications stated above. If your skills match the required skills for this position, the department may contact you. Employee reference checks will be conducted on all finalists. This may include a review of documentation related to job performance and education. It includes contact with the applicant's current and/or former employers.
- A Criminal Background Check will be conducted on all finalists for this position. A criminal conviction will not automatically remove you from consideration for employment.
- When the position requires travel and the applicant drives a state owned or leased vehicle, a driver's license record check will be conducted.
- Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.