Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job
Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years.
Who We are
Our team acts as a central technology unit working to improve a wide range of IT services at the City of Austin Transportation Department. We administer critical IT systems, engineer open transportation data, and geek over maps and open-source projects.
What You’ll Do
The preferred candidate will have experience using desktop and web-based geographic information systems (GIS) to produce maps and manage geospatial data in an enterprise setting.
The candidate will excel at using a wide range of geospatial technologies in their daily work, including, but not limited to, ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Online, QGIS, CARTO, and Mapbox Studio.
The candidate will be capable of designing and administering geospatial databases, as well as automating data processing tasks using programming languages, Model Builder, FME, or similar tools.
We are looking for a candidate with leadership experience who is able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and serve as a mentor to fellow team members.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Design, implement and/or perform data management activities such as modifying elements and assigning privileges.
2. Perform programming activities such as design, development, testing, debugging, documentation and modification of geospatial applications
3. Analyze data from various sources to produce data sets, cartographic layouts and reports in accordance with specifications and standards
4. Research and interpret source records and documents
5. Perform business process analysis and develop alternatives, making recommendations
6. Respond to requests for information from internal and external customers
7. Assist with the creation, publication, implementation and improvement of IT policies, governance, standards, and security
8. Install new software releases and/or upgrades including researching, testing and implementing new geospatial technology
9. Communicate and interface with members of the IT, vendor and user communities
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of programming/scripting principles, techniques and documentation practices
• Knowledge of principles and practices of mapping, coordinate systems, projections and scale
• Knowledge of basic database design principles
• Skill in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new concepts
• Ability to implement geospatial technology projects
• Ability to modify geospatial applications and databases using scripting programming languages and automation tools
• Ability to read and interpret surveys, legal descriptions, cartography, engineering documents, construction plans, and aerial and orthophotography
• Ability to read and interpret applicable laws and regulations
• Ability to analyze automation needs and makes recommendations for data, geospatial software, and/or hardware solutions
• Ability to produce maps and other representations of geospatial data using geospatial software
• Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and take appropriate actions and/or steps to address identified needs
• Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in achieving organizational goals
• Ability to gain and maintain the trust and confidence of others and the organization through consistency and reliability
• Ability to give, receive, or share thoughts, ideas, perspective, and data to create shared understanding
• Ability to define, analyze, and find solutions for difficult or complex problems
• Ability to view the big picture
• Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies
• Ability to identify trends as well as isolated events
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.