IT Administrator - GIS
City of Flagstaff
|Salary Details||See Job Description|
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE WORK (GIS SPECIFIC)
The purpose of this position is to interpret and prepare information for a wide variety of GIS datasets that can be geoprocessed, analyzed, and mapped. Maintain Enterprise GIS databases and perform updates and edits. Prepare web based interactive apps and maps, create and design had copy (PDF) maps and reports, perform spatial and tabular analysis, and data processing in response to customer requests. Review, evaluate, and verify mapping data provided by outside agencies or private sector contractors for accuracy and consistency, and modify and correct database values as needed. Assist in the development of Python and TSQL scripts that automate data extraction, transformation, and loading procedures related to GIS with return-on-investment examples. Assist with training opportunities to support application users. Prepare detailed procedure documents. Publishes, administers, and innovates with the ArcGIS Enterprise online suite of products.
This is the advanced senior level class in the GIS Analyst series. Positions at this level possess a specialized, technical, or functional expertise within the area of assignment and may exercise lead or project supervision over assigned lower-level staff. Esri technical certification is preferred. Employees are typically assigned significant responsibilities and often exercise independent judgment in the performance of all duties. This class is distinguished in that it performs the most complex work assigned to series and serves in a project supervision capacity over lower-level staff.
ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES (ALL PROGRAMS)
- Supervisory: This job has leadworker responsibilities (may coordinate or monitor the work of Technician, Specialist, or Analyst) but does not supervise.
- Budgetary: This job does not have budgetary responsibilities but carries out day-to-day activities within an approved budget.
- Strategic Planning: This job has partial responsibility for strategic planning at the Program level (assists with developing, implementing, and managing long and short-term goals).
- Policies/Procedures: This job has partial responsibility for policies and procedures at the Program level (assists with developing, implementing, and interpreting).
- Compliance: This job has partial responsibility at the Program level (follows, assists in ensuring compliance with, and may enforce) Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations as well as City policies and procedures.
- Council Communications: This job carries out day-to-day activities in accordance with Council’s adopted priorities and direction.
- Reporting: This job has partial responsibility for reporting to State agencies at the Program level (gathers information, completes reports, and assists in addressing discrepancies in reporting) for the following reports/agencies AZ911.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Documents work order requests and resolutions in ITAC software.
- Maintains confidentiality and security with regard to data access.
- Keeps pace with IT technology trends through training, periodicals and experimentation in a test environment.
- Maintains compliance with project management methodology and process.
- Works directly with clients and vendors on complex issues providing quality customer service.
- Assists with long- and short-term goals for assigned program.
- Acts as the project manager as required on larger projects.
- May perform supervisory responsibilities, if applicable.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Administers and maintains the City's enterprise SDE geodatabases, including upgrades, data migration, export/import of data.
- Installs and configures ArcGIS Enterprise server-based software applications, networks, and web configurations.
- Designs and tunes GIS SQL spatial databases to maintain and continually improve performance levels.
- Creates, develops, and maintains GIS datasets, including defining geospatial relationships to various enterprise business systems and database tables in support of department mission.
- Use advanced Python or Data Interoperability techniques to automate data transformation to use in various systems and formats.
- Researches, tests, integrates, and recommends modifications/customization of Geographic Information Systems/Land Information System (GIS/LIS) software.
- Monitors and ensures GIS systems meet business and performance needs.
- Works with city staff from various departments to determine their respective GIS needs. Develops and trains departmental applications utilizing ArcGIS Online and
- ArcGIS Enterprise, using ESRI tools such as Survey 123, Dashboards, Field Maps, Workforce, etc.
- Publishes geoprocessing services to enable custom data analysis in web-based applications.
- Coordinates various special projects and/or graphics for presentations in support of the GIS system including addition of new data layers.
- Trains City staff on GIS related applications and tools including Desktop GIS, Web GIS, and field data collection/location tracking.
- Manages small IT projects related to technical and non-technical initiatives and the on-going support of GIS.
- Provides 24x7x365 emergency support for the IT network infrastructure.
- Provides guidance and training to other members of the GIS and IT team.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (GIS SPECIFIC)
- Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Computer Science, Information Systems, Data Science or a closely related field.
- 3-5 years of GIS experience
- Or any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING (GIS SPECIFIC)
- 5-7 years of GIS experience
- Master's Degree in GIS, Computer Science, Information Systems, Data Science or a closely related field.
- Esri technical certification(s)
- Harris Innoprise ERP experience
- Hexagon Intergraph Computer Aided Dispatch experience
- Asset management platforms (i.e., Cartegraph or CityWorks) and their integration with GIS
OTHER REQUIREMENTS (ALL PROGRAMS)
- Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Working knowledge of PC hardware, software and peripherals.
- Experience working in a Microsoft Windows and Office environment.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be a productive and effective team player.
- Ability to work under pressure and successfully complete time-sensitive tasks.
- Strong organizational skills, self-motivated and able to prioritize tasks.
- Strong aptitude for attention to detail and accuracy.
- Working knowledge of project management and project management methodology.
- ESRI applications and tools including but not limited to:
- Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online
- Survey 123
- StoryMaps, Sites, Hub
- Work Force
- Experience Builder, Web App Builder, Instant Apps, custom JS API applications
- ArcGIS API for Python
- Advanced Python Scripting, including ArcPy, particularly in Extract, Transform, and Load scenarios.
- SQL Enterprise Geodatabases administration
- Computer Aided Dispatch systems
- 3rd party Esri certified partner asset management systems
Skills needed to be successful:
- Ability to work with a team to solve complex problems across a variety of IT specialties.
- Ability to manage a large, complex project with little or no supervision.
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service to internal and external customers.
- Ability to independently research solutions to business needs
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies and environments.
- Ability to lead small ad hoc project teams including prioritizing and assigning tasks.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS (ALL PROGRAMS)
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- There are no special vision requirements for this position.
- Working conditions are in a typical office environment.
- The noise level in the work environment usually does not exceed 70 decibels.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.