A Geographic Information Systems (GIS)/Range and Training Land Assessment (RTLA) Technician position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands, to be assigned at Fort Polk, LA, in support for the US Army Sustainable Range Program (SRP)/Integrated Training Area Management (ITAM) program.
Required Job Qualifications
- BS Degree in Geography, Natural Resources or closely related field with GIS course work.
- Ability to maintain and develop GIS datasets and metadata; includes editing, updating, and transforming data into specific formats and schemas to include file geodatabases, personal geodatabases and shapefiles.
- Skills in performing editing, analysis, metadata, data management, map creation, and other geoprocessing functions using ESRI ArcGIS 10.x software.
- Experience capturing data from various sources and incorporating into GIS geodatabase through use of digitization, coordinate geometry, aerial photos, LiDAR data, GPS, and scanned documents.
- Experience collecting field GPS data and post-process data for use in ArcGIS utilizing Trimble software and hardware.
- Experience with operating personal computer workstations and standard software packages, including extensive experience with Excel.
- Ability to develop, organize, collect and analyze RTLA assessment data by navigating wooded and rugged environments either in a vehicle or on foot across uneven terrain. Assessments may involve daylong outdoor work.
- Excellent written communication skills.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience working with GIS applications in natural resources management, digital cartography, and military concepts.
- Experience with SRP Range Managers Toolkit, Military Tools for ArcGIS, and SDSFIE model.
- Background with ITAM, RTLA or SRP GIS.
- Ability to train others in use of ESRI software
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a courteous manner and communicate effectively orally with the public, outside agencies, and internal staff.
- Maters Degree in Geography, Natural Resources or closely related field
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Serve as GIS technician for the Fort Polk ITAM program. Work under the direction of the GIS Coordinator to support the GIS requirements of ITAM and SRP projects. Create and update GIS data layers, perform field data collection (GPS), and conduct various data analysis functions. Create or update maps, and provide GIS information or products for reports, presentations or the fulfillment of other military training requirements. Ensure that GIS data and metadata meets Army and SDSFIE standards.
Conduct RTLA projects utilizing GPS handhelds and data collection processes. Identify Land Rehabilitation and Maintenance (LRAM) requirements and identify optimal or acceptable landscape conditions needed for training missions specific to Fort Polk.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.