MAJOR FUNCTION: Position is in the GIS Division of the Planning & Development Services Department. This Division provides data collection, mapping, land use planning and GIS support for Departments under the St. Lucie Board of County Commissioners. This position provides primary GIS support to the Building & Codes Division. This position reports to GIS Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILL NEEDED IN ORDER TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Knowledge of standard statistical principles, methods and research techniques. Knowledge of computer automated mapping, geographic data collection methods and automated data management systems.
- Knowledge of current Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public.
- Ability to present facts clearly and accurately in graphic form.
- Ability to work well under pressure with fixed deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members of the Department and other agencies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION:
- Manipulate and maintain spatial database records for use with a computer based geographic information system (GIS).
- Operate GIS workstation and software, perform digital base map updates, prepare exhibits and thematic maps, provide support for special projects that relate to spatial, demographic or tabular data contained in the GIS database. Perform data collection and mapping design work.
- Conduct these functions in the development and support of the County’s GIS. Handle customer service requests for public domain data.
- Perform related work as requested or assigned.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS: Good vision and hearing with or without correction. Ability to speak and write clearly and concisely. Use of both hands and fingers with dexterity. Occasional walking and standing is required.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITION REQUIREMENTS: Constant work inside the office in a sedentary posture. Occasional outdoor work at remote offices and outdoor work sites when visiting County departments.
WORK HAZARDS: Occasional field visits to undeveloped, agricultural areas and areas under development, with attendant hazards.
SAFETY EQUIPMENT USED OR NEEDED: None
EDUCATION: High school diploma or possession of an equivalent degree. An associate’s (2-year) degree from an accredited college or business school or equivalent course work at a technical or vocational school in geographic information systems, geography, planning, civil engineering, computer science, or a related field preferred.
EXPERIENCE: At least two (2) years of experience in relational database system utilization and Microsoft Office products is required. Experience with ESRI ArcMap and/or ArcGIS Pro is desired.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION, OR REGISTRATION: A valid Florida driver’s license is required with a good driving record.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.