The GIS Technician 1 completes updates in GIS (Geographic Information System) utilizing service line records. As part of this process, they ensure that facility data is created, updated, and maintained timely and accurately in GIS. They review service line record documentation to validate that it complies with policies, standards, and applicable codes. In addition to these primary duties, the technician also trains, mentors and supports peers and business partners.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Completes updates to GIS in accordance with service line records and other related information.
- Analyzes and verifies service line records in compliance with policies, standards, and applicable codes.
- Map service lines accurately by collaborating with peers and business partners.
- Ensures updates to tracking databases are completed timely and accurately.
- Follow established process to track and close out service line mapping jobs within document management system.
- Organizes and prioritizes multiple tasks.
- Performs work within designed company timelines.
- Identifies and implements best practice opportunities with peers and business partners.
- Participates in quality assurance (QA) for documentation and mapping.
- Trains, mentors, and supports new personnel.
- Works independently and thrives in a geographically dispersed hybrid organization.
- Promotes a safe working environment by speaking up for safety.
Required Qualifications for Position
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Demonstrated knowledge of mapping technologies and concepts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various Microsoft applications.
- Ability to be self-directed and effective in a geographically dispersed hybrid organization.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong analytical skills with proficiency in basic math, geometry, and mapping concepts.
- Experience in the interpretation and application of standards, codes, and regulations.
- Demonstration of adaptability and flexibility.
- Contribution to team success through personal and team efforts.
- Demonstration of high work standards with attention to detail.
- Preferred Additional Qualifications for Position
- Post-secondary education in GIS, engineering or equivalent professional work experience.
- Proficiency in GIS/mapping software (e.g., ESRI, ArcFM, AutoCAD).
- Experience with geocoding, GPS and other related technologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of natural gas operations.
- Working knowledge of Field Operations support systems
This position is considered a "Mobile Role" - Reporting to a NiSource facility is not required on a regular basis
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.