Assist with the design, development, implementation and maintenance of the City's geographic information system (GIS). Responsible for maintenance and update of GIS data sets, databases and GIS software. The work involves working in conjunction with users from other departments. Work is performed with frequent independent judgment and creative application of GIS technologies under general supervision of the GIS Manager.
Examples of Duties
- Creates and prepares custom data sets and maps.
- Maintains and updates geographic data sets and maps through various methodologies.
- Performs complex, detailed data set processing and editing, complete final clean-up and accuracy checks.
- Performs quality assurance and quality control procedures on final GIS products.
- Assists in preparation of project plans and specifications for various projects.
- Analyzes and documents problems, recommends solutions, initiates corrective action, and follows up problem resolution.
- Assists with the operation and maintenance of other GIS related hardware and software i.e. plotter, global positioning system (GPS) equipment, relational database.
- Stays current with new and changing technology.
- Assists users with accepting and using technology to aid with their daily tasks.
- Manages work load using established processes and procedures.
- Assists with the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of the City's geographic information system (GIS).
- Maintains and updates GIS data sets, databases, and GIS software.
- Assists with the operation and maintenance of other GIS related hardware and software.
- Performs all other related duties as required.
- Open to work in a 'Team Oriented' environment; Open to make multiple changes on a project for QA/QC purposes.
Education and Experience:
Associate's degree in geographic information systems, geography, engineering, computer science or related field, and at least one (1) year of experience in GIS applications.
High School Diploma with at least three (3) years of experience in GIS applications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS software and geodatabase file structure.
- Knowledge of coordinate systems and datums, topologies, geometric networks, COGO tools, spatial adjustments, georeferencing, web-based applications, automated work flows, and geoprocessing tools.
- Ability to use small office equipment and computers.
- Ability to apply GIS concepts and principles to work assignments.
- Ability to operate and maintain GPS units, tablet PCs, plotters, printers & scanners.
- Ability to understand and analyze technical material and documentation.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with users and the public.
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing tasks and work assignments and working under the pressure of rigid and/or short work cycle.
- Skill in working independently with minimal supervision.
- Skill in exercising initiative and sound judgment.
- Skill in communicating clearly and effectively orally and in writing
The physical demands involve far acuity, hearing, mental acuity, near acuity, repetitive motion, seeing, speaking, talking, and visual acuity. May be required to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects.
The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environment conditions: job likely consists of typical office work or administrative work. The employee works in a safe and secure work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.