NATURE OF WORK
This classification involves creation, maintenance, and updating of database information to support Geographic Information Systems (GIS) projects and initiatives for the City. An employee in this position supports geospatial data management, spatial analysis, and cartography using GIS; creates, maintains, and updates GIS databases pertaining to the City’s utility systems; manages GIS related projects and applications; establishes procedures for database management, documentation, field data collection, GIS analysis, and map production; and trains users. This position also works on other non-utility GIS projects and provides GIS and map information to other departments.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops and implements standards for data input and maintenance, map production, field data collection, and metadata creation.
- Assists with the development of GIS applications and models that enable spatial data analysis and queries, and develops tools and programs to automate routine GIS related tasks.
- Creates, maintains, and updates spatial and tabular data associated with the Utilities Department’s GIS databases.
- Updates and creates GIS maps of the City utility infrastructure, including water and wastewater lines, fire hydrants, water and sewer valves, sewer manholes, and other similar facilities; assists other departments in reading maps.
- Utilizes Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment and software to collect, edit, and update geographic coordinates and attributes of utility infrastructure in field.
- Collects data from a variety of public and private sources.
- Maintains awareness of project status; prepares and submits status reports.
- Performs GIS analysis functions; creates maps and reports to communicate results.
- Prepares and interprets electronic and hard copy drawings, surveys, field notes, source documents, and other spatial data for GIS conversion.
- Performs quality control of data, which includes spatial alignment, attribute checks, topology validation, and other quality control measures to ensure accuracy.
- Creates web maps and web applications for use in the office and the field.
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends computer hardware and software for CAD and GIS applications.
- Documents work and creates metadata.
- Provides training and support for users.
- Interacts and communicates with a variety of groups and individuals.
- Operates a variety of office and specialized equipment in the performance of job tasks, including computers and peripherals such as plotters, printers and scanners.
- Performs related work as required.
- Associate degree from an accredited school.
- Associate degree in geography, GIS, cartography, engineering, computer science, or a closely related field preferred.
- Two (2) years of work experience in dealing with ESRI geodatabases; creating spatial and tabular GIS data and ESRI software; and collecting field data to be loaded into a GIS, preferably with supervisory experience.
- Two (2) years of experience creating web maps and web applications with ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.
- Two (2) years of experience using ArcGIS Pro.
- Experience with Python and Modelbuilder is desired.
- Experience with ArcGIS Server is desired.
- Certification in GIS desired.
NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Must obtain a valid Florida driver's license prior to hire.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach and twist under desks and around furniture; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight up to 50 lbs.; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information. Occasional climbing on ladder or stool to reach or mount equipment.
Work is performed in a standard office environment and data center rooms and closets with some travel to different sites; incumbents may be required to work varied hours including but not limited to evenings, weekends and holidays.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through personal contact, the use of the telephone and/or other City-issued technology devices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic GIS concepts and AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of GIS database development, management, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of geometry, trigonometry, algebra, and coordinate systems.
- Knowledge of GIS products including, but not limited to, ESRI products such as ArcGIS Desktop 10.x and ArcPad.
- Knowledge of collecting field data to be loaded into a GIS.
- Knowledge of principle, practices, and standards of geospatial metadata.
- Knowledge of plotters, scanners, CD burners, and GPS equipment.
- Skill in data creation and editing with ESRI and ArcGIS product.
- Skill in the operation of personal computers, related peripherals, and various software packages.
- Ability to interpret field survey and inspection notes and to incorporate them into GIS layers.
- Ability to accurately maintain City records and maps.
- Ability to manage multiple projects successfully.
- Ability to research and interpret as-built drawings, ground and underground infrastructure data, aerial imagery, and related GIS renderings.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical information.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
- Ability to understand and carry out instructions.
- Ability to provide effective customer service.
- Ability to effectively manage and supervise other employees.
- Ability to deal with competing priorities and varied responsibilities.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively to develop win-win solutions.
- Ability to evaluate the impact of alternative courses of action and evaluate circumstances of an innovative, new, or unprecedented nature.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with other employees, supervisors, City officials, outside agencies, and the general public.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.
|GIS Analyst, GIS Developer