Under the supervision of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Supervisor or Manager, the GIS Specialist is responsible for performing data maintenance and QA; fulfills map and data requests; maintains GPS equipment and processes spatial data; supports and directs contract and temporary GIS staff; and performs other related duties as required.
The incumbent works primarily independently to fulfill project requirements
- Interprets engineering drawings and user-submitted information to create and maintain accurate geographic data that supports a variety of planning, engineering, and administrative functions
Compiles and manipulates data from multiple sources to meet the Company’s information needs
- Follows established data editing standards and QA workflows to ensure database integrity
Constantly evaluates workflows and documentation to help the GIS program adapt to changing needs
- Create and maintain spatial records in geodatabases. Conduct research and compile geographic data from a variety of sources to ensure data is accurately captured in GIS systems
- Applies tools and techniques that help ensure data integrity during editing and fulfilling map and data requests
- Provide training sessions on GIS-based tools to staff; create user guides and documentation on GIS tools and workflows
- Assists in installing and troubleshooting GIS software for end-users
- Create maps, charts, tables, graphics, and prepare written reports using GIS and related software
Modify or test existing ETL workflows or scripts
- May perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Ability to manipulate data using GIS software and FME (Feature Manipulation Engine) Desktop
Basic understanding and knowledge of GIS application development principles and/or ability to troubleshoot or modify applications using Esri Enterprise, Geocortex Essentials or similar software
- Be self-motivated, a proactive problem solver with the ability to perform independently and collaboratively on a Scrum team; and committed to an iterative process
- Ability to coordinate and execute simple design projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills to manage projects and maintain system documentation
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Proficient in geographic principles and practices; strong understanding of map projections and spatial data transformations; solid comprehension of coordinate systems, GPS standards, and map scales
- Proficient in software packages including Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint, Access and other related applications
Required Education and Experience
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent in GIS, Geography, or a closely related field and one (1) to three (3) years of experience in performing data maintenance and/or QA
- Familiarity with a relational database management system (RDBMS) and structured query language (SQL) is preferred
- GISP, ArcGIS Desktop Associate, or FME Certified Professional or equivalent experience while pursuing certification is preferred.
Our company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.
|Category||GIS Analyst, GIS Developer|