The GIS Specialist I will prepare graphic maps, diagrams, exhibits, and displays. Additionally, the incumbent will develop simple macros using Geographic Information System (GIS) software, maintain web map applications during election cycles, manage precinct boundaries and addresses for elections, and coordinate with staff to obtain pertinent data. The incumbent will work with Esri software, including ArcPro, ArcMap, and ArcGIS Workforce. Additionally, the incumbent will use Python and VBA in their work. Travel to offsite locations is required as needed.
The most competitive candidates will have experience working with Esri's ArcPro and ArcMap, an understanding of ModelBuilder, VBA, and Python.
The GIS Specialist I is distinguished from the GIS Specialist II in that the latter class performs the full scope of assignments and works more independently. Advancement to the next level is obtained by competitive selection through an open recruitment.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Update GIS data layers; research and compile data from record maps, land grants, and deeds for survey monument histories, boundary locations, subdivisions, right of way, street names, easements, and facility locations.
- Prepare various graphic maps, diagrams, exhibits, and displays; develop simple macros and applications utilizing GIS software to perform assigned work.
- Operate and maintain various GIS related hardware (e.g., plotters, scanners, digitizer, UNIX, Windows NT, or DOS based workstations).
- Education: None required.
- Experience: One year as a GIS Specialist Trainee with Riverside County.
- Education: None required.
- Experience: Two years of sub-professional or professional GIS experience. (Completion of GIS, automated mapping, land surveying, geography, cartography, or computer science related coursework from an accredited college or university may substitute for up to one year of the required experience on the basis of 30 semester or 45 quarter units equaling one year of experience.)
- Knowledge of: Mathematics, including the elementary principles of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics as applied to sub-professional engineering and GIS related work
- Ability to: Learn the techniques and practices involved in assigned GIS work; perform mathematical computations; keep clear and accurate notes; do simple drafting; understand and follow oral and written directions; work cooperatively with others.
License/Certificate: Possession of a valid California Driver’s License is required.
The County has a Veterans Preference Policy. Upload a copy of your (or your spouse’s) Member-4 Form DD-214 (or NGB-22) indicating dates of service, and a copy of your spouse’s letter of disability (if applicable) with your application. For privacy reasons, it is recommended that you remove your social security information from the document(s). A Human Resources Representative will review the materials and determine if you qualify for veterans’ preference. See the policy here (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader).
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.
|Category||GIS Analyst, GIS Developer|