The City of Lake Oswego invites qualified candidates to apply of the position of GIS Services Supervisor. The position will manage the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) programmatic section within the Engineering Department, including, but not limited to supervising technical support staff members, and other employees as determined by the City Engineer. This section includes programs related to GIS analysis, processing, map production, data collection, production of standards and procedures, computer-aided design assistance, and also supervises the City Surveyor.
This position provides difficult to complex analytical services across organizational boundaries. Areas of focus may include budgetary/financial, operational efficiency, productivity, and asset management and/or performance measurement. Strategizes with other departments throughout the City to meet the needs for geographic based databases. Identifies budgetary needs to provide current technical services that are useful to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Supervises staff including prioritizing and developing work plans, evaluating staff performance, monitoring progress on reports and projects, interpreting policies and procedures, establishing standards, making hiring and termination recommendations, making pay rate change recommendations and providing training and development for staff.
- Performs a variety of research, analysis and administrative studies related to department and/or city-wide special projects Evaluates problem areas and uses available information to develop recommendations.
- Directs the work of a variety of staff with expertise in, but not limited to, GIS, computer aided drafting and design, and surveying.
- Manages the GIS program priorities and requests for assistance to address citywide needs in GIS, Surveying, CAD support, and spatial data services in accordance with city objectives and budgetary requirements.
- Summarizes and presents recommendations or policy approaches for consumption by managers, elected officials and/or the public. When needed, present findings and recommendations in management, council and/or public meetings.
- Establishes and implements GIS goals, standards and objectives.
- Provides a lead role for special projects that may require analyses, managing contracts, and overseeing Implementation of new GIS or other software systems
- Responds to request for information from the City Manager, City Council, boards, and other outside agencies including identifying information needed through reports or memorandums.
- Establishes working relationship with regional partners and colleagues regarding data sharing, analysis, and practices in GIS.
- Provides a supporting role in the annual budget preparation for Engineering including determining services, allocation of resources, and monitoring of Engineering expenditures within the GIS Section
- Develops and implements GIS data on the City's intranet and web pages.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education and Experience Requirements:
A typical way of obtaining the knowledge, skills and abilities outlined above is with a Bachelor's degree in Geography, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field and five years related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.