As a GIS Programmer Analyst (Mid to Senor) at the Harris County Engineering Department, you will be responsible for administering and enhancing our GIS enterprise, promoting efficient data management practices, and facilitating GIS integration with diverse systems. You will have the opportunity to design and develop GIS mapping applications that align with our organizational goals, ensuring user-friendly functionality.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer and maintain our GIS enterprise, including the Geodatabase and data sharing.
- Enforce GIS data governance to ensure data accuracy, consistency, and security.
- Develop and implement efficient workflows for improved GIS data management.
- Create automation scripts to streamline GIS processes and enhance productivity.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate GIS with various systems, such as transportation planning, permitting, disaster recovery, facility management, real estate, and asset administration.
- Design and develop GIS mapping applications that meet our organizational objectives.
- Ensure user-friendly and efficient functionality of GIS applications.
- Identify and promote industry best practices to optimize GIS processes.
- Drive the adoption of efficient workflows and data management techniques within the GIS team.
- Provide training and support to team members to enhance their GIS skills and knowledge.
This position is subject to a criminal history check. Only relevant convictions will be considered and, even when considered, may not automatically disqualify the candidate.
- Bachelor's degree in Geographical Information System, Computer Science, Geography or a related field.
- 5 years of experience in GIS development and administration.
- Experience in GIS database design, optimization, and administration.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency in ESRI GIS software, including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Portal, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, SDE, Geodatabase, version editing, and Geoprocessing toolsets.
- Proficiency in processing large GIS datasets, such as aerial imagery, LiDAR, and more.
- Knowledge of GIS data governance and best practices.
- Ability to design and develop GIS mapping applications.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Strong teamwork and collaboration abilities.
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge, and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. "See Resume" will not be accepted for qualifications.
Master's in GIS or a closely related field.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in GIS and Information System Management.
- Expertise in ESRI GIS products.
- Familiarity with Cartegraph is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong GIS programming, scripting, and automation skills are highly desired.
- The preferred candidate should possess a polite demeanor, exhibit a keen eye for detail, maintain excellent organizational skills, demonstrate efficiency, exhibit self-motivation, and excel in a collaborative team environment.
- Position Type and Typical Hours of Work:
- 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. | Monday -Friday
- Subject to Early Mornings, Evenings, Weekends & Holidays as Needed.
- This position is for in-office, WFH is not optional.
- Responding to emergency events is required in the even of a natural disaster.
- Ability to work for extended periods in hot, cold, or inclement weather.
- Ability to lift maps, plans, and specifications related to the inspection process.
- Ability to stoop or crouch.
1111 Fannin St, Houston TX
Commensurate With Experience
Based on 26 Pay Periods
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.