The primary function of the GIS Intern is to assist LIO staff with general maintenance of GIS data. The GIS intern will create exhibits for internal departments and external clients. The intern will edit core datasets for the LIO and will be tasked with performing raster data transformations.
- Responsible for the georectification of the Sanborn fire insurance mapping. Also, responsible for transforming the LIO raster collection into the new datum standard.
- Updates, corrects, validates and verifies the topographic and planimetric datasets. Employs spatially enabled toolsets, reconciles multiple and diverse source materials.
- Respond and fulfill GIS data requests. Data requests can be for specific areas of interest or complete datasets. These can also be custom requests that need manipulation or transformation.
- Creates reports and develops presentations for GIS projects, demonstrations and exhibitions.
- A current resident of the State of Wisconsin
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must be working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree on Geography, GIS or Computer Science.
- Six (6) months of coursework experience in GIS, Cartography, or Computer Science.
Additional Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of all related computer and software applications such as word processing and spreadsheets;
- Knowledge of esri desktop and esri ArcGIS online;
- Ability to exchange basic information with internal and /or external contacts;
- Ability to explain and gather information, answer queries, or provide assistance to internal and/or external contacts;
- Ability to persuade, conform or recommend course of action with internal and/or external contacts;
- Ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, reports, short correspondence and memos;
- Ability to speak effectively before both internal and/or external groups;
- Ability to understand and follow instructions;
- Ability to execute decisions within limits of standard policy and procedures;
- Ability to interpret and adapt to established practices and procedures using independent judgment to meet situations to which applications are not clearly defined.
Special Instructions: This Original Examination is open to current residents of the state of Wisconsin. In accordance with section 11 Rule 3 of the Civil Service Rules a non-competitive examination will be held for this position. The non-competitive examination will consist of a review of candidate materials, education and related experience.
Milwaukee County offers a comprehensive blend of benefits designed to make your life better both inside and outside of the workplace. Milwaukee County conducts criminal background checks and pre-employment drug testing.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.