This position is responsible for coordinating a multi-user, city-wide GIS capability. Works with city departments and other agencies to develop and maintain GIS services related to storage, retrieval, and analysis of geospatially referenced data.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Enhances, expands and maintains the Geographic Information System (GIS) of the City, specifically as it relates to both office and field applications.
- Designs, develops and maintains GIS project schedules, monitors project status to ensure timely completion of assignments.
- Performs data conversions from a variety of different file formats.
- Develops and maintains maps and database information for City departments and operations.
- Coordinates the operation of GIS within the City, including software and hardware acquisition; standards compliance; database administration; and related system analysis and programming.
- Coordinates with City staff and vendors to resolve GIS application issues.
- Participates in a wide variety of special projects as they relate to GIS applications. Coordinates GIS activities between the City and external agencies.
- Provides support in the development of short and long-range plans; collects, interprets, and compiles data for reports, studies, and projects.
- Conducts GIS training for City personnel.
- Develops applications that allows users to have custom applications that are design to meet their specific needs to enhance and perform their job duties effectively.
- Creates GIS policies and procedures as it relates to data collection.
- Evaluates, recommends and implements GIS policies and procedures to promote maximum organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Enters and retrieves data from computer information systems, determines which geographic data are necessary to create infrastructure maps and related documents.
- Reviews current agreements with vendor(s) to ensure those agreements still meet the needs of the city going forward.
- Consults with staff using GIS to determine the scope of their needs; designs and executes projects that best serve these needs with the department resources.
- Prepares clear and concise records, reports, and correspondence.
- Integrates current and planned computer systems in conjunction with Information Technology Dept.
- Follows applicable safety rules and regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Geography, Computer Science, Planning, Engineering, Surveying or related field with two (2) or more years of progressively responsible technical experience in GIS applications; or an Associate Degree supplemented by four (4) years of progressively responsible technical experience in GIS applications.
- Any combination of education and experience totaling six (6) years is acceptable.
Valid South Carolina Driver's License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques used in the application and use GIS operations.
- Knowledge of GIS presentation graphics, end use product printing, and electronic document management.
- Knowledge of CADD production techniques and integration with GIS.
- Skill in the application of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Skill in the use of ESRI software products, in particular ArcGIS Server, ArcMap, ArcGIS Portal & ArcGIS Online
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communications with City staff, project consultants, private contractors, and the public.
- Ability to conceptualize spatial data.
- Ability to update and manage computer file systems.
- Ability to test software upgrades, maintain map related records; follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to research and interpret land record data, legal descriptions, above and below ground infrastructure data, aerial imagery and related GIS renderings.
- Ability to organize work, establish priorities, meet established deadlines, and follow up on assignments with a minimum of direction.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
The work is sedentary work and requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and negligible amount of force to move objects and the following physical abilities: fingering, mental acuity, and speaking.
The work is typically performed in an office with a computer and occasionally outdoors in hot, cold, or inclement weather.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were written out in this job description.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.