Forsyth County's MapForsyth Department is searching for a motivated individual to fill an open GIS Coordinator position. The GIS Coordinator will oversee the GIS division while coordinating the procurement of spatial data for use by multiple City-County working groups. This position will validate geographic analysis to make sure all required laws and geospatial standards are followed. The GIS Coordinator develops, implements, coordinates and maintains internal technical GIS standards associated with spatial date and GIS technology, often in cooperation with the Geographic Information Officer. This position will supervise the work of two (2) GIS Analysts.
A successful candidate should have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles of geographic information science and GIS technology.
- Extensive skill in the use of GIS software, particularly ArcGIS in its desktop and online forms.
- Knowledge and experience with open source GIS programs.
- Ability to develop and maintain online spatial data tools for non-GIS users.
- Considerable skill in applying GIS technology to solve more difficult analytical problems.
- Expert knowledge of relational database management systems and the ability to use the SQL language.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of Global Positioning System ans skill in the use of GPS technology for data collection.
- Ability to understand and employ LiDAR data.
- Moderate ability to utilize various software programs and applications as a means of importing and exporting data for use by county and city departments, community organizations and the public.
- Skill in spoken and written communications, including the ability to express meaning though cartography.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in geography, engineering, planning or GIS and four (4) years of experience in the use of GIS technology
- Masters Degree in a related field with extensive coursework in GIS can substitute for two years of relevant work experience.
- GIS Certification can be used to establish equivalency.
- GISP designation is a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages GIS Division budget and performs administrative duties.
- Assigns tasks and supervises staff.
- Creates and manages online tools using spatial data.
- Develops operation standards in concert with technical staff.
- Provides geospatial related technical guidance and assistance to GIS stakeholders.
- Performs analysis of spatial data and generates reports based on the results.
- Interface with other departments or outside agencies regarding future GIS projects.
- Other related duties as necessary.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.