Under minimal supervision, provides cartographic services as needed for a wide variety of projects costing from several thousand to several million dollars and coordinates geographic information systems (GIS) and mapping software applications utilized by operations to comply with local, state, and federal regulations. Oversees maintenance of GIS database.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Job Function)
- Works with customers to determine requirements of base geographic data to be utilized for cartographic services, writes business data requirements to aid in the purchase of said data, and coordinates the purchase, delivery, and installation of the base geographic data to be utilized for GIS applications in a wide variety of projects costing from several thousand to several million dollars. Performs routine maintenance of purchased, base geographic data to assure accuracy in comparison to existing geographic-based data.
- Develops and maintains professional visual aids, cartographic, photographic and communications media essential to the development of projects within the KRGT organization. Maintains and publishes an up-to-date index of maps generated and utilized by the department and develops departmental cartographic standards.
- Provides technical input to assist in the development of project planning, including analyzing project scope to determine project requirements, researches records for information, and performs ad hoc geographic data analysis as required. Provides updates for various federal filings. Provides input on direction and funding of GIS-related capital expenditures and long-range financial forecasts.
- Maintains the geographic portion of the Kern River Pipeline Data Warehouse, Spatial Database Engine (SDE) and coordinates the input of pipeline compliance data to the Kern River Pipeline Data Warehouse: Close Interval Survey (CIS) and In-line Inspection Data (Smart Pig/ILI).
- Provides support for the global positioning system (GPS) equipment and applications utilized by operations by creating training materials and designing course outlines and/or instruction for operations personnel in the use of the equipment and applications.
- Interfaces with external contractors and internal IT organization as it relates to the geographic data and assigned applications and coordinates with third-party survey contractors for project work and ongoing operations. Performs any additional responsibilities as requested or assigned.
- A bachelor's degree in geospatial or related field or associate's degree and equivalent work experience. (Typically six years of related, progressive work experience would be needed for candidates applying for this position who do not possess a bachelor's degree. Three years of related, progressive work experience would be needed for candidates applying for this position who do not possess an associate's degree.)
- Seven years (as a guideline) of experience in GIS-related software, including three years of experience in interactive database management.
- Working knowledge of GIS-, GPS- and CAD-related hardware.
- In-depth knowledge of general technical areas such as cartography and digital photography.
- Research other data sets maintained by the different business units to interface into GIS environment as required or requested.
- Ability to instruct others in usage of GIS and GPS systems.
- Excellent PC skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects concurrently.
- Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without an accommodation.
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
This position will be filled at a level GIS Cartographer/Sr/Analyst in our GIS job ladder. Compensation will commensurate with the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.