Position Summary and Qualifications
Plans, organizes, coordinates, and participates in the development and implementation of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) solutions using ESRI ArcGIS and Schneider Electric ArcFM software products. Participates in the long-term development and support of a reliable operation of the Department's GIS technology. Assists the GIS and Drafting Technicians by providing expertise, support and oversight. Reports directly to the GIS Manager or designee.
(NOTE: There are also secondary functions, which the employee will be required to perform.)
- Works closely with end-users to identify GIS requirements, technical issues, and training needs.
- Performs and assists in the moderately difficult tasks of developing curriculum for, and in the training of, GIS Technicians, Engineering Technicians, Drafting Technicians and Utilities Inspectors in GIS/AutoCAD-related knowledge, abilities, and skills of those positions.
- Coordinates and conducts GIS user application training sessions or classes.
- Reviews and approves all GIS project documents prior to submittal to the GIS Manager or Electrical Engineer for final approval.
- Works with department Engineers, Transmission and Distribution staff, Dispatchers, and GIS Analysts and Technicians in the development of FPUA standard designs, procedures, practices, and mapping standards.
- Performs GIS database design, maintenance, manipulation, analysis, and extraction to meet the current needs of the department using ESRI ArcGIS software, geoprocessing tools, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL, and Python custom scripts.
- Prepares, plans, produces, maintains, and updates a variety of maps, drawings, plans, presentations, reports, online mapping applications, and mobile mapping solutions displaying GIS data and tables using cartographic techniques to represent spatial data.
- Creates, maintains, and enters detailed attribute information using GIS tools, AutoCAD tools, and relational databases.
- Creates, manages, and distributes GIS web services through ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, and web mapping applications.
- Performs detailed spatial analysis including buffering, overlays, selection, notification, and location using ArcGIS tools.
- Performs moderately complex GIS hardware installation, software installation, and GIS specific IT troubleshooting including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, Schneider Electric's ArcFM, Microsoft SQL Server, and other software systems.
- Participates in the planning, execution, review, and testing of GIS applications in an agile environment to meet the needs of the department and FPUA.
- Analyzes, troubleshoots, and resolves GIS and AutoCAD system and application problems by exploring and communicating with internal and external technical resources to resolve end user issues.
- Participates in GIS coordination with other Departments and local agencies in data layer sharing and development of standardized products and procedures.
- Prepares and evaluates Requests for Proposals for GIS consultant services and assists the supervisor in the administration of consultant contracts.
- Analyzes future GIS needs, development of future GIS related products, and establishing GIS mapping standards and procedures. Develops and presents proposals for new approaches and options to streamline business processes and functions.
- Contributes in the field data collection and surveying of FPUA assets utilizing digital imagery, collecting notes, or using software on a tablet, mobile device, or GPS unit. Develops mobile GIS applications to support field data collection on tablets and mobile devices.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including routine office tasks.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Geography, Cartography, Engineering, Computer Science or a related field is required. Ability to pass basic Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel test with a score of at least 70%.
Considerable knowledge of, and proficiency in:
- the use of computer hardware, including desktop PCs, Tablet PCs, scanners, and plotters.
ESRI ArcGIS Desktop suite, ESRI ArcGIS Server, Microsoft SQL Server, Schneider Electric's ArcFM software, and Schneider Electric Responder software, and AutoCAD.
- modern GIS methodologies, concepts and analytical techniques, including mapping, digital conversion, data manipulation, and spatial analysis.
- GIS database administration including relational database management systems (RDBMS) and structured query language (SQL).
- principles and practices of electric distribution system, gas distribution system, and telecommunication engineering design.
- algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics, and engineering economics and some knowledge of accounting to assist in the development of goals and objectives, budgets, performance measurement systems, and for guiding the development of electric system analysis models.
- MS Word (tested), MS Excel (tested), and the MS Windows operating system.
- learning styles, curriculum development, lesson planning, document preparation, and public speaking to provide for the effective training of FPUA staff in GIS and documentation of technical procedures.
- customize GIS software to meet department needs.
- establish effective working relationships through skillful listening, verbal and written communication.
- take responsible charge of projects, exercise sound judgment, and react to change productively for the efficient operation of the department.
- maintain current knowledge of new and emerging trends in GIS.
- plan, organize, integrate, monitor, and maintain an enterprise GIS and its related applications to meet the needs of the department and FPUA, including developing long range enterprise GIS goals.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.