Radiance Technologies is an employee-owned company with benefits that are unmatched by most small companies. Employee ownership, generous 401K and profit sharing, health/dental/life/vision insurance benefits, educational reimbursement, competitive salaries, a skilled work force, and a pleasant work environment combine to make Radiance Technologies a great place to thrive.
The GIS Analyst will support the Commander, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command (CNMOC) by assessing the claimancy’s preeminent collection of environmental data holdings and contribute to optimizing effective dissemination strategies. The GIS Analyst will study the available data, architectures, technologies, workflows, processes, procedures, and products in use across the NMOC claimancy and provide analysis, documentation, and recommendations to support the functional data strategy.
NMOC is focused on providing critical environmental knowledge to the warfighting disciplines of Anti-Submarine Warfare; Naval Special Warfare; Mine Warfare; Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance; and Fleet Operations (Strike and Expeditionary), as well as to the support areas of Maritime Operations, Aviation Operations, Navigation, Precise Time, and Astrometry. In this capacity, it is the steward of a vast repository of data covering sea floor to space and spanning over a century.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrable expertise in data structures, data modeling, and data analysis. A foundation in geospatial data types is a must. The candidate will have a strong technical background and be capable of effective communication across multiple stakeholders with differing requirements. The ideal candidate will have some experience with system engineering principals.
- Maintain awareness of the data acquired, produced, and held by components of the NMOC claimancy and partners by interfacing with data stewards, data managers, and information technologists.
- Contribute to functional data strategies and implementation plans by research, documentation, and recommendations.
- Maintain proficiency in the required technology areas by researching new technology concepts and capabilities, participation in working groups, and providing demonstrations to stakeholders.
- Develop and deliver presentations, architecture drawings, and other documentation related to NMOC data strategy.
- Participate with content managers across the enterprise to include Intelligence Community (IC) and other Federal Government partners to ensure the appropriate meteorology and oceanography content is available.
- Recommend data science methods (e.g. regression, segmentation, experimentation, and Machine Learning) to inform process improvement of data collection and product creation to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Fully understand, participate in, and provide attainable recommendations to test bed projects that support cloud migration.
- Track and document the progress of data analytic pilot cases and implementation of relevant operational activities.
- Track development of IC content management and manage the interface, data exchange and content management between the Surf Eagle program and the IC.
- Track and identify inconsistencies with metadata tagging of data and products as they relate to classification and security markings for role-based access.
- Analyze existing and anticipate future plans within the claimancy and partner agencies so that the functional data strategies evolve with advances made in the community.
- Track interoperability and content synchronization across all security domains.
- Review the enterprise architecture and make recommendations for improvements to data dissemination capabilities especially as they relate to:
- Relevance and timeliness of data to meet customer requirements.
- Data redundancy/storage, transfers, and refresh times.
- Data collection metadata tagging as it relates to developing METOC ontologies and taxonomies for data/product discovery
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of geospatial data structures.
- Competency with at least one programming language.
- Strong technical writing and oral communication skills.
- Active TS/SCI
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Meteorology, Oceanography, Geographic Information Systems, Engineering, or other relevant technical field.
- Experience coordinating and leading meetings of personnel with diverse backgrounds and skillsets.
- Conveying technical information to leadership via briefings and written reports
- Interagency collaboration on advanced technical concepts
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.