Role Statement for GIS Analyst I:
The principal function of an employee in this class is to create, update, plan, analyze and conduct complex geographic information system (GIS) data maintenance and to provide technical assistance to users. Analysts at this level receive a variety of assignments that require the application of the full range of GIS principles, methods, and techniques. This technical work requires good knowledge of computer mapping and related technology as well as the exercise of sound judgment by the incumbent. This class is distinguished from the class of GIS Technician by the performance of more complex GIS duties requiring detailed programmatic knowledge of the department and is primarily concerned with Enterprise Geodatabase maintenance and systems integration. Employees in this class are expected to complete their assignments independently and perform their duties in accordance with department general guidelines. The work is performed under the supervision and direction of an assigned supervisor, but considerable leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with the assigned supervisors, other City employees, contract engineers, vendors, and the public. The principal duties of this class are performed in a general office environment with occasional trips to various construction sites throughout the city.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Key Job Accountabilities:
- Develops and maintains comprehensive GIS data, including developing and editing GIS datasets, collecting, and verifying field data, importing GIS data from various sources, troubleshooting data errors, interpreting GIS data to resolve questions about City infrastructure, analyzing GIS data and integrating GIS with other databases and/or applications.
- Develops and maintains web map applications and services, and ArcGIS Server Enterprise Geodatabases.
- Develops automations of routine data maintenance by creating customized code and data modeling.
- Develops and maintains data layers to provide information on geographic features.
- Researches, compiles, and analyzes information from a variety of sources to develop standardized data for incorporation into the GIS.
- Analyzes and interprets mapping data to verify accuracy, determine trends, and correct errors.
- Collects technical and field data through Global Position System (GPS) and /or visual inspection.
- Provides GIS technical support to users.
- Operates and maintains GIS equipment.
- Recommends enhancements in existing programs and software
- Maintains City base maps and related files, including making custom prints and displays for City departments and the general public.
- Researches and responds to questions on a variety of issues from contractors, citizens and City employees relating to the activities of the Public Works department, including quoting related codes and ordinances when necessary, routing questions to appropriate personnel, researching and answering questions pertaining to utility locations, public rightsof-way and easements, property lines, and relevant standards.
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions.
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on principles, practices, and new developments in assigned work areas.
- Assumes responsibility for other duties as required or assigned.
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
- Responds to citizens’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
- Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
- Communicates information and states concerns in a clear and professional manner.
- Is punctual and timely in meeting requirements of performance, including attendance standards and work deadlines.
- Respects the opinion of others and demonstrates a reasonable relationship with employees, supervisors, and others.
- Accepts and performs in a timely and effective manner changes in work assignments and/or how work is performed.
Key Behavioral Competencies:
- Accountability – Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Accuracy – Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Analytical Skills – Using a logical reasoning process to break down the work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome. Recognizing fundamental elements of a situation, clarifying the situation, examining the facts, evaluating, interpreting and inter-grating solutions.
- Commitment to Safety – Understands, encourages, and carries out the principles of integrated safety management; complies with or oversees the compliance with safety policies and procedures; completes all required training; takes personal responsibility for safety.
- Communication, Oral – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written – Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Customer Oriented – Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Decision Making – Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay meticulous attention to all aspects of a situation or task no matter how small or seemingly unimportant.
- Self-Motivated – Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one’s ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
- Ability to operate complex CAD and GIS software and hardware.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and files.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans, specifications, and blueprints.
- Ability to customize and automate repetitive routines.
- Ability to create, integrate and maintain RDBMS.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with assigned supervisors, other City employees, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures, and instructions.
- Ability to prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations.
- Ability to use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions.
- Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to show integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer using standard or customized software applications appropriate to assigned tasks and the ability and willingness to quickly learn and use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
Education, Experience Level, Certification Requirements:
- High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED): Required.
- Bachelor’s Degree (four-year college or technical school) Required. Field of study: Computerized Drafting/Mapping and Design, GIS, Geography or Related field.
- 3 plus years of experience in related GIS activities or any combination of experience and training which provides the equivalent scope of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Experience with Arc, IMS, Network Analyst, Python, Java Script, and/or other programming languages is a plus.
- Valid State of Idaho driver’s license.
- Specified positions may require security background check and/or additional Certification (s) specific to the functional area of assignment.
The City of Nampa has a Drug/Alcohol Free Workplace Policy. Any offer of employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug test and background check. The City of Nampa is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This position may close prior to the closing date.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.