Works with City departments in the development and maintenance of high-level Geographical Information Services (GIS) data and systems.
GIS Analyst is a skill based pay position. Pay is based on certifications.
- May provide training, coaching, assign tasks and monitor quality and quantity of work for GIS Analysts, GIS Technicians, and interns.
- Performs complex data analysis using ArcGIS and related extensions/add-ons, relational databases, and other computer software; understands and can apply the capabilities of GIS, databases, and other computer programs to solve complex spatial and relational problems.
- Designs and implements GIS and relational databases in various formats.
- Designs and implements custom applications both for the desktop and the internet.
- Conducts data analysis and preparation of documents, data reports, and maps.
- Ensures that accurate and complete metadata are developed for all data sets created by GIS staff and that metadata is distributed with data when requested by outside agencies.
- Serves as a working project manager for projects and programs.
- Monitors and analyzes project and programmatic credits.
- Participates in agency audit as needed.
- Works in a team setting with other staff members to identify effective ways to complete various planning projects and outreach efforts.
- Scopes and reviews the technical work of consultants, contracting agencies, and other organizations as appropriate.
- Assists with scoping GIS projects.
- Participates in developing grant proposals which include a GIS or data component.
- Provides recommendations for project personnel, hardware, software, data, budget, and scheduling.
- Communicates complex technical issues both verbally and in writing to non-technical GIS users.
- Serves as a technical representative on intergovernmental committees.
- Provides technical expertise to appointed committees, agency staff, other agencies, and the public.
- Responds to public inquiries with data and information.
- Coordinates with other staff to develop materials needed for public meetings, workgroups, council meetings, and other meetings as needed.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree required. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Geography, Math, Urban Planning, or a related GIS field is preferred.
Every two years of related job experience may substitute for one year of the education required.
3 years of experience in the GIS field. Possession of an advanced degree may substitute for experience required.
Any combination of related, education, experience, certifications, and licenses that will result in a candidate successfully performing the essential functions of the job is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) Software.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Server.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Online, Web Apps, Widgets, Analysis and Dashboards.
- Knowledge of the Enterprise Geodatabase, create new layers, domains, versioning, post, reconcile.
- Knowledge of SQL (T-SQL, procedures, views, functions)
- Knowledge of Geospatial Data Analysis, Spatial Analyst, Business Analyst, and Dashboards
- Knowledge of Geographic Information System concepts, design methods, procedures, techniques and methodology; complex principles and practices of record keeping; algebra, geometry, and trigonometry as applied to routine GIS computations.
- Knowledge of current versions of Computer Aided Design software (CAD), spreadsheets, word processing, database management, and graphics software in a Windows environment.
- Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
- Ability to be punctual and attend work regularly
- Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read engineering plans, site plans and as-builts.
- Ability to design and implement GIS data layers.
- Ability to analyze and present GIS information in order to demonstrate underlying trends in the information.
- Skill in use of personal computer including Microsoft Office, Open Office or similar word processing programs, e-mail and the internet.
- Skill in operating and properly utilizing a variety of office equipment including plotters, large format scanners, computers and peripheral equipment and printers.
- Skill in SQL and basic programming skills.
- Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Must possess a valid State of Texas Drivers License Class “C” and good driving record as defined by City policy.
- An applicant who does not possess a Texas Driver's License or proper class, will be allowed ten (10) working days after a job offer is made to obtain proper licensing.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.