About the Department:
The Information Technology Services Department is responsible for enterprise technology operations for the City of Alexandria. ITS provides technology services and solutions to City departments to enhance service delivery. ITS aligns its work with City needs by providing leadership, resources, expertise, and products that enable departments to better serve the City’s residents, businesses, and visitors. ITS resources support initiatives funded through the multi-year Information Technology Capital Improvement Plan (IT/CIP) to improve the overall technology landscape. The City of Alexandria’s ITS Department has been a Top Ten National Finalist in the Digital Cities Award program for over the past 19 years.
The Department of Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking a GIS Analyst I. This person will work in the Emerging Technology and Advanced Analytics (ETAA) Division and will support City’s GIS program. This GIS staff position will focus on ensuring the City’s most complex and important spatial data sets (e.g. streets, vehicle routing and address data) are of the highest accuracy. In addition, they will work with the rest of the GIS team and other Citywide stakeholders to address a variety of data and mapping needs including, assessing data requirements, creating data sets, performing quality control, ensuring metadata documentation is current and complete and creating mapping and data visualization products. The person in this position with play a critical role in ensuring City services that rely on GIS, such as public safety, will have the highest confidence in the quality of the GIS data.
What You Should Bring:
You should have a demonstrated ability of being able to work independently, as well as a history of establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with coworkers, representatives of other departments and agencies, and the public. You must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing. You should be able to show proactivity in continuously improving your job knowledge and technical and functional skills through training opportunities and self-study. Our ideal candidate will have experience in using ESRI Enterprise, with significant expertise in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro to support local government processes and be familiar with GIS street centerline, address, and vehicle routing data. And come with fresh ideas about how GIS solve problem and improve process for local government.
As a GIS Analyst I your effort will be focused on maximizing the value of GIS, in support of many of the City’s many diverse services and core GIS functions. Examples of duties include:
- Editing GIS layers with new data or updating existing assets to reflect current conditions.
- Georeferencing and organizing Plats, Plans and other engineering drawings.
- Developing and managing spatial data sets, including data modeling, geodatabase schema development and editing.
- Participate in quality control for base mapping program.
- Perform ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) to move GIS data to third party applications.
- Automating processes using tools including python scripts, model builder, and FME
- Integrate multiple spatial and tabular databases from various agencies and systems.
- Writing and maintaining current accurate GIS documentation, including systems design, GIS metadata, services, and processes.
- Working with GIS team members and various City departments advising on best approaches to leveraging
- GIS technology in various City business processes.
- Ensure security considerations are addressed as part of all work.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum & Additional Requirements
Four-Year College Degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Earth Sciences, Urban Planning, Engineering, Information Technology, or other related field or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Four-Year College Degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Earth Sciences, Urban Planning, Engineering, Information Technology, or other related field. One year of experience with ArcMap/ArcGIS Prop or AGOL.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment checks including but not limited to a criminal background and drug screening.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.