Under general supervision of the GIS Manager, the GIS Analyst performs intermediate level work to develop and support the City’s Geographic Information System (GIS), including supporting the Planning, Engineering, Public Works, and Bastrop Power & Light Departments. Performs advanced spatial analysis; data development, editing, and maintenance; basic relational database management; designing and maintaining basic web mapping tools; assists with 911 addressing; utility systems, preparation of digital and hardcopy maps; and coordination with other public and private organizations.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodation will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Updates and maintains the GIS database; cleans up and corrects data and new integrated data sets.
- Compiles geographic data from a variety of sources; scans, rectifies, and digitizes data; edits and refines GIS data, and updates database; performs quality control checks to assure data integrity.
- Provides technical support, training, and assistance to City staff; analyzes GIS problems and implements solutions according to standards guidelines and procedures.
- Build and maintain strong, effective working relationships with internal support teams, peers, vendors, and customers as it deals with the City’s technical infrastructure.
- Assist in the land development review and/or utility planning processes by providing mapping support, reviewing development or engineering plans for conformance with adopted standards, preparing a variety of graphical exhibits, spatial analysis, and other related tasks.
- Prepares high quality maps and other exhibits in digital and hardcopy formats.
- Assists in handling internal and external requests for maps and spatial data.
- Performs other duties as assigned, which may involve irregular work hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geographic Information Systems, or related area of study. GISP in lieu of BS in GIS.
- Two (2) to three (3) years of progressively responsible GIS technology experience in ESRI’s ArcGIS suite of products including ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Applications.
- FEMA IS 100, 200, 700, and 800 courses must be completed within one (1) year of hire.
- Five (5) to seven (7) years’ progressively responsible GIS technology experience
- Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. (ESRI) professional certification (Desktop, Developer, or Enterprise)
Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid Texas Class C driver’s license with an acceptable driving record to be maintained throughout employment.
Normally five-day, 40-hour work weeks; some night meetings; occasional before and/or after normal work hours as necessary; or during emergency situations as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of industry standard IT management frameworks, and experience with implementing such frameworks within an IT department.
- Knowledge of principles of land planning, mapping, global positioning systems, and aerial orthophotography.
- Knowledge of theory, principles, and practices of GIS, including data compilation and conversion, database management systems, graphics applications and overlays, and spatial models for computer analysis.
- Knowledge of government operations and processes.
- Using GIS – ESRI software suite programs and application programming languages.
- Skilled in customer service to departments in using GIS to address business issues.
- Understanding and working with data from multiple public and private sources.
- Interpretation of GIS data, aerial photographs, and maps.
- Working independently or part of a team in delivering excellent customer service.
- Reading and interpreting technical documents.
- Applying independent judgement, personal discretion, and resourcefulness in interpreting and applying guidelines.
- Preparing clear and precise reports.
- Gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals.
- Operating computer and related software applications.
- Ability to communicate with users to define system requirements and resolve problems.
- Ability to analyze technical problems and develop workable solutions.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer, plotter, and to work in the field including traversing uneven terrain.
- Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment.
- Vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
- Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees may be required to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Employees partly work in the office and partly in the field; when in the field incumbents may be exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, and mechanical and/or electrical hazards.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required. The position also requires meeting the essential requirements of the Physical Demands and Working Conditions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.