This is geographic information systems (GIS) work at the project management level. Employees in this class have mastered the principles, practices and techniques required to design, maintain and produce geospatial data and maps for use in projects and/or other GIS tasks using Esri’s ArcGIS suite of products and underlying databases. Employees in this class may be responsible for coordinating and overseeing professional or technical staff performing GIS related work on a project basis. An employee in this class is responsible for performing project management leadership in all aspects of assigned projects involving the design, creation, editing, maintenance and production of geospatial data for the purpose of geospatial analysis, mapping and planning work. Employees in this class work closely with departmental personnel to address their geospatial needs. Work is performed under the direction of a technical or superior with geographic information system knowledge and/or experience.
Minimum Training, Education & Experience
The following statement represents the minimum training and experience standards which will be used to admit or reject applicants for tests. Candidates must meet requirements within 30 days after the last date for filing applications.
1. Presently employed by the City of Philadelphia with permanent Civil Service status in the Office of Innovation and Technology Department with a performance rating of Satisfactory or higher;
2. EDUCATION: Completion of a bachelor’s degree program at an accredited college or university with major course work in geographic information systems, geography, spatial analytics, urban planning, computer science, management information systems, engineering, landscape architecture which has included coursework in GIS, or a related field.
3. GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Two years of experience designing, maintaining, and producing geospatial data and map production utilizing ArcGIS suite of products or similar GIS software.
4.SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE: One year of full-performance level experience designing, maintaining, and producing geospatial data and map production utilizing ArcGIS suite of products or similar GIS software.
NOTE: Completion of a post baccalaureate certification program in Geographic Information Systems in Geographic Information Systems at an accredited college or university or a master’s degree program at an accredited college or university with major coursework in geography, urban planning, geographic information systems, computer science, management information systems, engineering, spatial analytics, landscape architecture which has included coursework in GIS, or a related field can be equated for one year of the general experience requirement.
CITY OF PHILADELPHIA CLASSES THAT TYPICALLY MEET THE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Engineering Specialist (3B74)
• Programmer Analysts 2 and 3 (1E76) (1E77)
• Systems Programmer (1E62)
• Geographic Information Systems Specialists 1 and 2 (3E20) (3E21)
• City Planner 3 (3E04)
• All Full Performance Engineers
Physical & Medical Requirements
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required of a position in this class.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.