Johns Hopkins Facilities and Real Estate (JHFRE) department is currently seeking two GIS Interns to support the GIS data compilation efforts. The interns will report to and work closely with the Senior GIS Analyst on various tasks to ensure the enterprise GIS contains the necessary and accurate data needed to support the needs of the stakeholders within JHFRE. The main focus will be on data collection and manipulation. Interns will use GIS software and a controlled editing database environment to edit the spatial and tabular data and will assist in documenting procedures and workflows.
Essential Job Functions
- Perform field surveying and data collection
- Perform data entry and edits for spatial and tabular data
- Assist in publication and use of feature services in the web GIS environment
- Assist in the design and creation of geodatabases based on established requirements
- Provide technical support to non-GIS users pertaining to JHFRE’s web-based mapping solutions
- Produce printed and/or web-based maps for information and analysis
- Assist in JHFRE’s efforts to build and maintain an effective GIS through, when necessary, collaborative research and application of new developments in GIS technology
Education and Experience
High School Diploma/GED required. Two years related experience required. Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula
Candidates currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or higher degree program preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with GIS software solutions.
- Understanding of various geospatial data types including vector and raster datasets.
- Experience editing geospatial data is desired but is not a requirement.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Experience using Trimble equipment to perform field data collection is desire but is not a requirement.
- Ability to produce accurate, timely delivery of complex materials.
- Organized. Able to prioritize and accomplish a wide variety and scale of projects.
- Committed to the mission of the University, customer service, and best practices in space management.
- Exchanges routine and non-routine information with staff, faculty, students, and vendors using effective oral and written communication skills.
- Shares JHFRE’s mission with staff, faculty, students, and vendors.
- Ability to work in a stationary position in an office environment for extended periods of time.
- Ability to navigate the University’s various physical locations to collect data/information using field data collection equipment.
- This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.