The Department of Community Affairs (DCA) is seeking a geospatial expert to join the team. DCA is a state organization dedicated to partnering with communities to help create a climate of success of Georgia's families and businesses. DCA offers a fast paced, challenging and dynamic work environment that requires innovative thinking, pride in quality work, and the ability to work as a versatile team player. DCA gives its employees the opportunity to do more than merely make a living. We are serious about helping Georgia's families live more abundantly with a greater sense of achievement. If public service and the desire to enrich the lives of others motivates you to do your best work, you should consider joining the DCA team.
Within the State’s planning department and under general supervision of the Manager of Mapping and Research, the candidate will provide mapping and GIS analysis services to a wide variety of clients. S/he will create and analyze critical resources for a variety of statewide programs, which will include the development and maintenance of interactive web-based maps and applications. Other duties will include the creation and administration of critical data and associated databases, and performance of statistical and quantitative spatial analysis.
The successful candidate will: demonstrate a solid understanding of GIS theory and application; possess a clear understanding of Esri’s ArcGIS architecture, applications and functionality; have outstanding customer service skills including the ability to easily identify and understand business needs and articulate/develop solutions with customers. In addition, an advanced ability to navigate and interpret census data is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
• Advanced knowledge of the Esri software suite (emphasis on desktop and web-based tools, especially ArcGIS Online)
• Advanced knowledge of GIS theories and analysis techniques
• Knowledge of local and national spatial data standards, producers, and availability of data
• Knowledge of geographic information databases
• Skilled at reviewing current and incoming data for accuracy, usefulness, quality, and documentation.
• Skilled in a variety of modeling and geoprocessing techniques
• Skilled in applying principles of geodetic science, cartography, remote sensing and data management
• Skilled in oral and written communication
AGENCY SPECIFIC MINIMUM QUALIFICATION:
• Bachelor's degree in geography, cartography, GIS or a closely related field OR four years of experience in GIS or mapping
• Ability to apply cartographic principles such as coordinate systems, scale and resolution, projections, and thematic mapping techniques for map composition and production, as well as database construction
• Ability to operate and maintain a GIS system to include hardware, software, plotters and cameras
• Ability to attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly
• Ability to manage multiple tasks
• Ability to work as a team player and communicate with a variety of department staff as needed to coordinate the development and implementation of the GIS system.
Job candidate for this position will be subject to a criminal background check, MVR, educational degree check, and reference checks prior to the extension of a job offer.
"DCA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER & DRUG FREE WORKPLACE"
Bachelor's degree in geography, cartography, geology, forestry or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.