|Required Experience||0 - 1 years|
KDOT’s mission is to provide a safe, reliable, innovative statewide transportation system that works for all Kansans today and in the future. Our employees are our most valuable resource. We depend on our employees and business partners to get the job done. KDOT strives to provide a work environment that motivates people and encourages them to be productive. KDOT is a great place to work, so come be part of our team!
Verification of identity and employment eligibility to work in the United States is required by federal law. For a list of acceptable documents that establish these criteria, please refer to the federal Form I-9. KDOT does not provide sponsorships for this position.
E-Verify: The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For additional information regarding E-Verify, please click here. For additional information regarding Immigrant and Employee Rights (IER) please click here.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full/Part-time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday – Friday
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Search Keywords: Topeka, Eisenhower State Office Building, Transportation Planning
- Annual Base Salary: $63,398.40-$71,594.00
Note: Salary can vary depending upon education, experience, or qualifications
- Work-Life Balance Programs:
- Paid Leave: Vacation, Holidays, Parental, Military, Sick, Funeral and Jury Duty
- Employee Assistance Program
- For help managing daily life at no cost to you
- Infant at Work Program
- Voluntary Benefits: Accident, Critical Illness, and Hospital Indemnity Insurance
- First-Day Coverage:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vison Insurance
- Tax Advantage Accounts: HSA, HRA, FSA with qualifying plans
- Life Insurance:
- Employer paid basic group life
- Additional optional group life insurance available at a reasonable cost.
- KPERS and Deferred Compensation
- Other Benefits:
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid school time
- Paid on-the-job training programs.
- Personal and Professional Development Opportunities
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
This Engineering Associate position is located in Topeka, at the Eisenhower State Office Building, and is within the Bureau of Transportation Planning. Successful candidates may be appointed at a higher-level dependent upon experience and qualifications.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains and analyzes KDOT linear referencing system (LRS) data using Esri Roads and Highways for ArcPro and supplemental extensions and applications as part of the K-Hub* system, primarily for roads not on the State Highway System**.
- Supports reporting and data maintenance activities required by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
- Performs functions related to annual Highway Performance Monitoring System (HPMS) data submittals. In addition to GIS skills, this requires engineering judgment, ability to interpret new federal and state data requirements, ability to modify/query the K-Hub* GIS Database as required, and close cooperation and coordination with several KDOT resources.
- Assists with highway functional classification (“FunClass”) updates.
- Assists with the Urban Area Boundary (UAB) update process, which occurs after the release of each decennial census.
- Assists with meeting expanding standards for Model Inventory Roadway Elements (MIRE), including those required as part of MIRE 2026.
- Valid Driver’s License at time of appointment.
- Bachelors degree from an ABET (Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology) accredited engineering school.
- Civil Engineering
- Fundamentals in Engineering (FE) or EIT Certificate obtained
- Working understanding of geographic principles and processes, GIS, and spatial analysis.
- Knowledge of cartographic terminology and principles.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional experience with GIS software applications, especially Esri products.
- Experience with and/or education in database queries, stored procedures, scripting, web development or application development.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability, or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the agency recruiter.
To apply visit jobs.sok.gov and reference Job ID: 210982
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.