GCI’s Technician I, GIS Mapping will support business goals performing mapping duties by using GIS tools and related systems in the creation and maintenance of new/existing GIS data systems.
Essential Duties of All Levels in the Position:
- Review and update customer parcel maps and validate internal systems database
- Maintain new and existing geospatial data files and systems
- Compile and query geospatial data from multiple sources
- Analyze telecommunications networks
- Provide GIS support to Outside Plant Engineers, Project Managers and Technicians
Additional Job Requirements: This is a mid-level technician position within the Network GIS Mapping discipline. Must have a basic understanding of telecommunications technology industry, surveying and mapping; moderately complex duties under the direction of the supervisor, works with Engineers, Project Managers, and senior technicians. Ability to perform mapping calculations, create and maintain maps. Ability to support senior technicians, manage parcel maps for the company and understand geospatial data from multiple sources.
Essential Duties for this position:
Under direct supervision of the Design Manger or designated Engineer:
- Review and update customer address information (Parcel maps). Validate and maintain system service boundaries and update internal systems/ database.
- Create, attribute and maintain new and existing geospatial data files and systems as directed.
- Compile and query geospatial data from multiple sources.
- Analyze spatial data to incorporate into reports, documents, and custom maps (hard and soft copies).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong written and verbal skills;
- Demonstrated multi-tasking skills;
- Demonstrated customer service skills;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- Basic computer literacy and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office business application tools.
- Basic understanding of relational database management systems
- Basic understanding of computer programming techniques
- Demonstrated ability in GIS modeling, data storage, spatial databases, and cartography.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS 10.x/Pro, MapInfo, AutoCAD and FME.
- Minimum of three years of directly related experience in a surveying/mapping environment required.
- Experience within a telecommunications industry preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates degree or equivalent in geography, GIS, or other closely related field required.
- OR, a combination of relevant work experience and/or education sufficient to perform the duties may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and may contribute toward education.
- Maneuvering/lifting office equipment, paperwork, materials, and/or supplies of up to 20-pound loads occasionally, less weight more frequently.
- Daily office tasks frequently involve operation of standard office equipment (phone, fax, and copier) and computer and processing of paperwork, typically requiring sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, reaching, grasping, pushing, pulling, lifting, repetitive motions, talking, hearing, and seeing.
- Frequent computer information retrieval and keyboard manipulation, typically by site, sounds and/or touch.
- Daily maneuvering office workplace, typically sitting, standing, walking, climbing steps.
- When performing in the field, walking, crawling, bending, stooping and kneeling on varied surfaces such as roofs and in trenches often hampered by weather elements.
- Clarity of vision at every distance with good depth perception and ability to distinguish colors routinely for driving and performing/evaluating field work.
- Good hearing, capable of distinction between equipment signals and the human voice often amidst background noises, such as wind, rain and traffic.
- Working Conditions: Subject to adverse weather and driving conditions when in the field. Worksites may be obstructed by weather and/or debris; heavy equipment, power lines and utilities operations may be present. Office work can involve long hours at computer screen and terminal; coordination by telephone and/or email with developers, contractors, utilities.
- Must be able and willing to work flexible hours including, but not limited to, weekends, holidays, and evenings.
- Some air travel required to other systems and/or remote projects; may require travel in small engine planes and/or use of RVs.
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact numbers.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.