The California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS) is looking to hire a Student Assistant to work under the close supervision of the Branch Chief for the Linear Referencing Services (LRS) Branch in the Division of Research, Innovation and System Information (DRISI). Under the supervision of the Chief, Linear Referencing Services Branch, in a learning capacity, the Student Assistant will assist in a wide range of assignments in the Linear Referencing Services Branch.
Conditions of Employment
This is a part-time, temporary, non-benefited, student position. Employment in all positions with University Enterprises, Inc. is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises, Inc. and the employee. This means that either University Enterprises, Inc. or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.
Depending on the type of position you are applying for, a pre-employment background check consisting of one or more of the following may be conducted: employment history, professional references, criminal check, educational verification (i.e., degree, license, or official transcript) and physical exam and drug urinalysis test. Applicants will be required to pass required pre-employment checks to the satisfaction of University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) and the hiring Agency or Department.
Flexible hours, Monday through Friday, between 8:00am – 5:00pm. Final schedule to be determined between supervisor and student.
Additional Work Schedule
Student Assistants and Graduate Student Assistants generally work up to 20 hours per work week (Sunday-Saturday) during the academic year and up to 40 hours per work week during breaks; (Winter, Spring and Summer). Another work schedule option for students working off campus through the California Intern Network is to work 28 hours per week, year-round.
Caltrans manages more than 50,000 miles of California’s highway and freeway lanes, provides inter-city rail services, permits more than 400 public-use airports and special-use hospital heliports, and works with local agencies. Caltrans carries out its mission of providing a safe, sustainable, integrated and efficient transportation system to enhance California’s economy and livability, with six primary programs: Aeronautics, Highway Transportation, Mass Transportation, Transportation Planning, Administration and the Equipment Service Center. To learn more visit www.dot.ca.gov
Majors/Fields of Study Environmental Science, Geography, Urban Land Development, Other - GIS
• Ability to work independently and within a team.
• At least 1-semester of Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) completed.
• Must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
• Preferred major in Geography or Urban/Transportation Planning.
• Experience in using ESRI ArcMap.
• Experience in using Geomedia is desirable but not required.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Update and calibration of State Highway System Linear Referencing System (LRS) and All Roads LRS using ESRI ArcMap and Hexagon Geomedia software.
• Reviewing of alignment and attributes All Roads LRS submitted by contractor to LRS Branch.
• Using ArcMap Postmile Toolbar and Latitude/Longitude, Postmile, Odometer conversion tool, geolocate events for Senate Bill 1 (SB1) projects.
• Assistance with the update of various road layers and metadata for distribution to other partners and GIS Data Library.
Sit for extended periods; frequently stand and walk; manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; use of office equipment including computer workstations, telephones, calculators, copiers, printers, scanners, and fax machines, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Work is performed in an office environment.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.