This is an exciting opportunity for a person with the skills and interest to support the King County Stormwater Services Section as a GIS Specialist- Senior. This is a role for a person who enjoys applying technology to solve complex, real-world problems and wants to make a difference working as part of a motivated team who are passionate about protecting the environment, serving their community, and improving social justice. This is a great role for someone who loves to learn and never wants to stop. It will also help the County adapt to the more recent and growing list of technology tools that integrate with GIS, e.g., greater database, data science, and configurable tools from an array of technologies and disciplines.
Core Work Duties:
- Create and maintain Stormwater's GIS database and application environments. This includes maintaining existing data systems, upgrading technologies, implementing new systems or modules, database changes and change control procedures, and recommending or creating standard operating procedures and best practices--major data systems include the King County stormwater asset inventory geodatabase and Stormwater/WLRD Cityworks (GIS-centric asset management system).
- Continue the effort to modernize the stormwater GIS asset inventory database, web applications, analytical tools, and GIS-centric asset management. Facilitate and support continuous process improvement and technology adoption, as these technologies and tools become available and benefit the Stormwater's mission and work.
- Serve as SME (Subject Matter Expert) in GIS, database, data management, data science, programming, data collection, and especially as these knowledge areas can be used to improve the management of King County's stormwater asset inventory, and embedded within project planning, recommendations, consultations, and mentoring junior staff and colleagues.
- Coordinate, lead, mentor, and train in the areas related to data management, including coordinating data and application projects, developing strategies and project plans, mentoring colleagues, and training programmatic staff.
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
The Successful Candidate will have the Following Competencies:
- Customer Focus - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers, gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services, acts with customers in mind, establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Functional/Technical Skills - Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Learning on the Fly – Learns quickly when facing new problems, a relentless and versatile learner, open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement, experiments and will try anything to find solutions, enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks, quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Process Management – Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done, knows how to organize people and activities, understands how to separate, and combine tasks into efficient workflow, knows what to measure and how to measure it, can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can't, can simplify complex processes, gets more out of fewer resources.
- Written Communication - Able to write clearly and succinctly in various communication settings and styles, can get messages across that have the desired effect.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Geosciences, Data Science or a related field, and a minimum of three years of demonstrated experience working with current GIS technologies, including as a primary contributor on at least one enterprise-level database design and development project; OR any combination of experience/education/training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the work.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams to identify and document business requirements; translate business, operational and technical requirements into solution approaches and specifications.
- Demonstrated experience designing, testing, implementing, and maintaining multiuser (i.e., more than 30 users) geodatabases.
- Demonstrated experience integrating a multiuser GIS system with another business system, e.g., asset management, customer relations management, or document management.
- Demonstrated experience using contemporary GIS software to build and support desktop and web map applications, e.g., GIS desktop, server, web, and mobile environments.
- Experience specific to spatial data management, GIS geoprocessing, scripting, and analysis.
- Working knowledge of data conversion analysis, transaction processing, and troubleshooting applications. Skill in using SQL languages.
- Advanced planning, organization, and customer service skills to support end-users and multiple partner relationships.
- Experience managing stormwater drainage data in GIS.
- Experience configuring a GIS-centric asset management system, e.g., Cityworks AMS.
- Experience with organizational business process improvement techniques, particularly if related to a government utility or asset management methodologies.
- Experience migrating workgroup-based data (e.g., spreadsheets and personal databases) to an enterprise-level environment.
- Experience participating or leading change management efforts to implement reoccurring schema changes to enterprise systems.
- Applied knowledge of programming languages and toolsets (.NET, Python, etc.), web platforms (IIS, Apache, .NET, etc.), ETL (extract, transform, load) processes, and Agile software development.
The work associated with this position will be performed predominantly by teleworking, complemented with onsite work and meetings as needed. Employees will have access to shared workspaces at various King County facilities. Employees must reside in Washington state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection (access may be supplemented in some situations) where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required, including the wearing of masks in some situations. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team that is redefining how we work as we transition to the department's hybrid environment.
Work Location: Predominately teleworking and the King Street Center 201 S. Jackson St., Seattle WA 98104.
Work Schedule: This position is exempt from the overtime provision of the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) and is not overtime eligible. This full-time position works a 40-hour work week. Attendance at evening and weekend events is occasionally required.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.