If you’re looking for a place to kick-start your career, where you can contribute to a dynamic firm, tackle challenging project work, and collaborate with industry recognized professionals - Geosyntec is the place for you! We have an entry-level opportunity within our groundwater geosciences group for a Staff GIS Data Analyst in our Maryland Branch operations (including offices in Columbia, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Richmond, Virginia, and Minneapolis, Minnesota). As a GIS Data Analyst, you will apply your academic knowledge and solid understanding and experience with standard practices and techniques used when working with data and GIS projects to support and manage projects that include environmental assessments, groundwater remediation, water and natural resources, geotechnical construction, and more.
Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Is this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for the position include:
- Designing, developing, and managing project-specific relational database applications using desktop (MS Access), enterprise (MS SQL Server), and EQuIS database software;
- Developing comprehensive workflows and metadata to automate compilation of data from multiple sources and serve data to maps, reports and other tools;
- Compiling, verifying, analyzing, and reporting large and diverse datasets;
- Designing, developing, and producing data visualization outputs using ArcGIS;
- Interacting with internal and external providers to coordinate collection and transfer of data to project databases;
- Collection, manipulation, and analysis of databases and GIS data;
- Designing GIS projects using ESRI ArcGIS software (Version 10.x) used to store, visualize, and analyze spatial data;
- Use and understanding of geographic positioning system (GPS) equipment for data collection;
- Participation in client-needs analysis; and developing current knowledge of GIS technology and software; and
- Interacting with internal and external clients to support database management and data visualization for environmental engineering, and geoscience projects.
- Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture.
Here are some other things you should know about this position:
- Training: This position requires health and safety, first aid, CPR, and other training, as well as medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our employees to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Fieldwork: Up to 25%
- Overnight travel: Up to 20%
- Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor's degree in geography, computer science, science, or geology. (required)
- Advanced degree in data sciences, engineering or related field. (preferred)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Online. (required)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Access. (required)
- Ability to write - queries and automate routine processes (e.g. VBA, SQL, Python). (required)
- Proficiency in cartographic concepts and techniques. (required)
- Experience with the front-end processes of collecting field data with various GPS units and the process of downloading and compiling the data. (preferred)
- Proficiency with EQuIS. (preferred)
- Proficiency with Microsoft SQL Server, including the ability to automate processes. (preferred)
- Knowledge of server architecture and web technology. (preferred)
- Proficiency in Graphic Design software (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) and/or modeling data visualization software such as Earth Volumetric Studio (EVS). (preferred)
- Prior experience in environmental consulting, including managing environmental, geologic, and geotechnical data collection. (preferred)
- Knowledge of laboratory analytical data verification and validation processes. (preferred)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.