With a workforce of over 25,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the sixth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all of our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The Office of Innovation & Technology (OIT) is the central IT agency for the City of Philadelphia headed by the Chief Information Officer. This position is supported by the CityGeo team (also known as the GIS Services Group) of OIT led by the Chief Geographic Information Officer (GIO). The CityGeo team manages enterprise GIS operations for the city including on-prem and cloud services, large scale technology and data contracts, and governance for geodata sharing and development standards.
The Philadelphia Office of Emergency Management (OEM) works to mitigate, plan, and prepare for emergencies; educate the public about preparedness; coordinate emergency response and recovery efforts; and develop tools and identify resources to support the overall preparedness of the City of Philadelphia.
Typically, all OEM personnel are required to serve in an on-call capacity and are required to work during non-business hours for extended periods of time in a field environment and during activations of Philadelphia’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC). However, OIT detailed positions to OEM do not have to serve in an on-call capacity and are not required to work during non-business hours. During emergencies, OEM may request OIT-GIS support during activations of Philadelphia’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
The Senior Lead GIS Analyst at OEM is responsible for organizing and executing GIS projects for analysis, mobile field data collection, data development, predictive analytics and data modeling for OEM. The work will be conducted with spatial and non-spatial databases using the ArcGIS suite of desktop products, ArcGIS Online/Portal, and OEM. Primary responsibilities will focus on preparing spatial analyses and data creation and data extraction/transformation/integrations to support business intelligence needs and measure program performance. This work will include statistical analysis, predictive analysis, developing metrics using -R, Excel, and other related GIS tools.
The Senior Analyst will have supervision responsibilities over the day-to-day work of 1-2 associate GIS analysts at OEM. Supervisor tasks will include mentoring and developing methodologies and tasks for associate staff to execute.
The candidate will support the OIT’s efforts to enforce data standards for the creation, management, and sharing of spatial and non-spatial data for business intelligence, project/program performance tracking, and public open data publishing.
• Administration, maintenance, configuration, and tuning of an enterprise level GIS environment running ArcGIS Server utilizing GeoEvent Server Extension.
• Esri Multiuser Geodatabase (SDE) administration that uses versioned, replicated, and distributed methodologies leveraging SQL Server and/or PostgreSQL.
• Tune, configure, and create GeoEvent services.
• Administration and maintenance of cloud-based environments leveraging Amazon and/or Azure.
• Installation, configuration, testing, tuning and administration of web/application servers.
• Create, configure, and launch cloud server instances in response to increases in demand and changing systems requirements.
• Application/services/hardware/software monitoring and troubleshooting to ensure high availability and reliability. Contribute to system incident response, event handling and reporting.
• Administration and configuration of ArcGIS Online for Organizations.
• Create and maintain of web map applications published via ArcGIS Online/Portal.
• Develop and maintain geospatial datasets.
• Prepare and execute workflows and automated routines using Python and ModelBuilder.
• Complete metadata documentation of datasets and processes.
• Coordinate and collaborate with network engineers, security, and database administrators to ensure business needs are successfully met.
• Perform activities to ensure robust and successful disaster recovery plans, backup and retention plans.
• Interact with other OIT, Fire, and Police GIS and analytical staff on data sharing, ETL and other joint projects.
• Responsibilities may occasionally require working evenings and weekends.
• Participate in meetings and events within department, city and wider GIS user community.
• Occasionally conduct presentations at departmental meetings and for conferences.
• Communicate and engage with management, administrative and technical staff along with a larger geospatial community.
• Preparing and/or maintaining system, technical, and user documentation.
• Thoroughly document workflows and procedures.
• Innovate and troubleshoot in a fast paced, high stress environment.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Experience with data visualization and graphics tools for the creation of professional presentations reports, web content, or education materials.
• Intermediate-level proficiency using ArcGIS Online/Portal to produce Web App Builder apps and Collector and Survey123 field apps.
• Advanced-level proficiency using ESRI ArcGIS 10.x software suite.
• Proficiency in spatial data creation, editing and maintenance using ArcGIS Desktop and/or Pro.
• Experience authoring Python scripts and creating models in ArcGIS ModelBuilder for automation of routines and geo-processes.
• Proficiency in -R or related statistical software tools.
• Working knowledge of Windows Server 2008 or higher in physical and VMWare environments.
• Working knowledge of IIS administration, network configurations, network security, and change management protocols.
• Proficiency in database management: create, edit, update, join, append and query data from spatial and non-spatial relational databases including MS SQL Server and/or PostgreSQL.
• Experience with Cloud Services.
• Proficiency in administering and managing an ArcGIS enterprise environment: geodatabases, ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS Online, Web Application Servers, and desktop software.
• Working knowledge of ETL’s
• Advanced-level proficiency using Microsoft Office Professional Suite (Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
• Proficiency in project planning and time management (setting and meeting goals, setting timelines, updating mangers and team members on status, etc.).
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to create and maintain good working relationships and collaborations while being able to work independently and take initiative.
• Genuinely excited and enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits when finding new solutions.
• Proficiency in statistical methods and analysis including correlation and regression.
• Experience with non-Esri software to generate on-line maps and data including CARTO.
• Multi-user versioned and distributed editing, replication in ArcGIS Server/ArcGIS SDE 10.x environment.
• Previous experience building ETL processes.
Five or more years of relevant professional experience required. Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university which has included major course work in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geography, Urban Planning, Public Health, Natural Resources (analytical focus), Statistics, Information Science, or Civil Engineering. Master’s degree is preferred.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.