Under administrative direction, is responsible for directing all activities of the GIS Division of the IT Department. Analyze trends in technology, assess the impact of emerging technologies on the business, provide solutions to address technology and business issues, and manage the financial resources of their areas of responsibility. These solutions must be developed at the best possible cost and be aligned with customer and business needs while establishing relationships with employees and key internal and external stakeholders. Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
This position is an "unclassified" position and has no disciplinary appeal rights to the Municipal Civil Service Commission. This position is likewise subject to at-will employment status and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
Essential Job Functions
- IT Business Management: Manages staff within assigned area, overseeing and conducting hiring, training and performance review activities as required. Manages budget processes and conducts fiduciary activities as appropriate to ensure appropriate allocation of funds. Manages and oversees procurement processes related to services and/or products necessary for the organization. Leads department-wide IT strategic and operational planning activities in collaboration with IT Leadership.
- Customer Business Requirements: Works with business partners to understand business needs.
- Customer Technology Planning: Provides input to business technology planning within their functional area. Identifies and researches alternative technologies, evaluates current staff and technical resources, and identifies alternatives for addressing business objectives.
- IT Initiatives: Manages the development and implementation of IT initiatives to support business strategy.
- Technical Solution Identification and Procurement: Participates with end users and management in the identification and evaluation of information systems requirements, and oversees development of plans to insure the completion of these activities. Oversees development of plans for the completion of major applications. Oversees the acquisition of approved hardware and software including the planning for migration, installation, and training.
- Service Quality: Provides high-quality services at optimal cost to customers.
- Business Process Improvement: Develops and implements technologies to improve the performance of multiple business processes and increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Vendor Management: Manages vendor relationships to maximize value to the business. Negotiate simple to moderately complex contracts.
- Technical Standards: Contributes to and influences the development of standards and changes to systems/applications. Provides technical and business expertise.
- Staff Resource Optimization: Identifies the roles, skills and knowledge required. Ensures staff has the resources and skills needed to support all work initiatives. Defines IT work program for the team.
- End User Training: Manages the development and delivery of training for internal IT and external users to ensure productive use of existing and new systems.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
Five (5) years of relevant technical and business experience. May require knowledge of one industry. Business experience should include assignments in two or more business and technical processes.
Applicants for this position must pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) fingerprint-based background check and maintain CJIS eligibility. Due to CJIS requirements related to system access, the following will result in being disqualified for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A & B Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor), and Family Violence Convictions.
- Experience leading quality control and testing activities for enterprise and departmental application systems.
- Experience managing a portfolio of departmental application systems across multiple business domains.
- Experience in the use and management of ESRI GIS products, including server and cloud-based products.
- ITIL v3 certification.
- If selected for this position, official transcripts, diplomas, certifications and licenses must be submitted at the time of processing. Unofficial transcripts and copies of other relevant documents may be attached to the application for consideration in advance.
- Please be advised that if selected for this position, information regarding employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position will be needed for employment verification. Applicants claiming military service to meet the experience requirement for this position may attach a DD214 to the application.
- Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience in order to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
- Applicants selected for employment with the City of San Antonio in this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, a physical, motor vehicle record evaluation, and additional background checks may be conducted.
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 5 pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting, and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of system environments.
- Knowledge of core managerial functions such as budgeting, procurement, personnel management, and finance.
- Knowledge of current information technology management theories and practices.
- Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of current organizational hardware and software capabilities.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques involved in the completion of information system planning including security administration, operational capacity planning, and cost benefit analysis of alternative technologies involved in the completion of information system planning, and cost benefit analysis of alternative technologies.
- Knowledge of quality principles and tools, especially root cause analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in effectively planning, organizing, controlling and supervising the work of subordinates.
- Skill in establishing and communicating clear expectations regarding work performance for both the individual and/or team.
- Skill in a variety of communication methods to present complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Skill in creating an environment for improving customer satisfaction and promotes an atmosphere that establishes customer satisfaction as a key value in the organization.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
- Ability to learn and adapt to the ongoing changes of the City culture.
- Ability to clearly communicate goals and priorities of the organization as they relates to technical issues.
- Ability to demonstrate a solid understanding of the current knowledge exchange and technology interface issues (including e-business aspects) between own and closely related units of the organization.
- Ability to demonstrate a solid understanding of project management tools; plan development, metrics, cost and effort estimation, schedule development, risk analysis, monitoring of production and compliance, project progress tracking.
- Ability to demonstrate a solid understanding of business and technical problem solving skills.
- Ability to influence other employees to work together to support the mission and goals of the City of San Antonio.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
- Ability to launch and deliver one or more IT project(s) on time and within budget.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.