The Geospatial Analyst/Programmer serves as an important member of MB&G's Geospatial Team. The team provides a full range of geospatial, software and database solutions and support for multi-disciplinary projects. The Geospatial Analyst/Programmer will perform the following tasks:
- Document work performed leveraging a variety of medias including web-ready and hard copy publications and training materials with step-by-step instructions.
- Aid forest health protection staff with technical issues
Develop and manage multiple forest health related databases
- Provide quality control checks of data being added to the database
- Coordinate with service area personnel on data quality
- Develop new ideas to improve database as needed
- Coordinate with national staff in working towards potential national adoption of program.
- Document database development ideas and record maintenance for insect and disease (I&D) database project
Conduct GIS mapping and analysis to support forest health protection team
- Conduct accuracy assessments of mapped data
- Create templates and maps for use by forest health personnel
- Create maps and posters
- Conduct/automate spatial analysis of regional datasets
Vegetation mapping of Pacific islands
Lead member of a team to develop vegetation maps. Responsibilities include:
- Acquire and prepare remotely sensed imagery
- Work cooperatively with FS and partners to obtain data
- Manage data
- Support development of classification scheme
- Develop methods and conduct analysis/mapping
- Conduct accuracy assessment
- Produce maps and other products to share with island partners
- Produce final report and maps.
- Develop trip reports from technical assistance trips to Pacific Islands
Provide technical training and assistance
Develop GIS, remote sensing, and database analysis training for partners
- Utilize forest action plans to help develop a strategy for GIS training throughout pacific islands
- Aid personnel in using GIS and databases
- Support of training targeting use of corporate mapping, reporting, analysis and program-specific training for mapping and data management).
Report compilation, design, editing and graphical representation
- Work cooperatively with FS and partners to compile data and information for reports.
- Develop graphical design for reports
- Manage data and information for forest pest reporting
- Attend meetings and serve as GIS team member for related projects, includes field visits, training, and partner meetings.
- Perform other duties as necessary
To excel in this Senior Geospatial Analyst/Programmer position you need to possess a minimum of 5 years of proven experience successfully completing tasks requiring the following skills:
- Advanced relational database management skills
- Proven expertise developing and maintaining databases
- Previous experience with Forest Health Monitoring programs a plus
- Ability to perform GIS mapping and analysis to support forest health insect and diseases, vegetation mapping of pacific islands with pacific island partners and technical support and training for pacific island partners and forest health protection staff
- Integrated knowledge of GIS, Remote Sensing, Digital Image Processing, Cartography, Database Management, and Program Customization and Development
- In-depth understanding and extensive experience with vegetation, land use/landcover, and forest insect & disease mapping and monitoring; mapping in tropical ecosystems
- Abilities to design innovative solutions and create customized tools for solving complex spatial and environmental problems
- Strong communication skills for project reporting, collaborating with outside project partners, developing training materials and delivering technical workshops
- Remote Sensing and Digital Image Processing Specific
- ERDAS platform for remote sensing data processing and analysis
- eCognition Developer software for object-oriented image classification and analysis
- Cartography Specific
- Create complex maps and posters using various tools including ESRI ArcMap, ERDAS suite, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Database specific
- design, develop and manage advanced database systems using MS Access, SQL, and related software and tools
- GIS Specific
- ESRI ArcGIS and ArcGIS Pro platform for geographic data processing, management, and analysis
- Advanced spatial modeling and geoprocessing analysis
- Development of customized tools using scripting languages such as python
Preferred Education and Experience
- MS Degree preferred
- Strong skills with MS Office suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Field data collection using advanced equipment including digital cameras and various GPS devices
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Mason, Bruce & Girard is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and we do not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or consideration protected by local, state, and federal laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies. Equal opportunity applies to hiring, promotion, training, compensation, and any other organizational action. MB&G’s written Affirmative Action Plan is available to all employees and job applicants upon request.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact +1-503-224-2445 for assistance.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.