- Performs analytical duties related to the development and operation of a Geographic Information System (GIS) to create, update, and maintain maps.
- Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Geography, Urban or Regional Planning, Mathematics, Computer Science or Management Information Systems; and
- Three (3) years of experience in GIS hardware and software support; or
- An equivalent combination of education (not less than a high school diploma/GED), training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job related competencies.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of the customers and provides the highest standards of service.
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Performs complex analysis of GIS data based on specified criteria and generates reports based on resulting data for use in projects, reports, and decision making processes.
- Develops scripts and models to perform advanced analysis and streamline routine GIS tasks.
- Write programs and develop user interfaces, menus, and macro-level commands to meet high priority needs.
- Maintains GIS databases and designs schema; converts data from various sources for entry into databases; uses various computer languages to manipulate data and produce reports; enforces best practices for GIS incorporation of legacy data; develops user instructions; and establishes and maintains related procedures and symbol set libraries.
- Designs project maps and databases; analyzes reports; and makes recommendations based on final prints.
- Trains user staff and provides technical support in application of statistical and thematic mapping software.
- Creates complex maps to convey information to non-technical staff.
- Serves as liaison with other County departments and outside agencies for effective system applications.
- Recommend and establish standards and procedures to deal with production of high priority data, maps and services.
- Lead response for emergency or high priority mapping projects to produce quality products.
- May supervise lower level GIS staff and act as GIS Manager in event of absence.
- Knowledge of GIS computer database development and management.
- Knowledge of computerized cartographic/mapping hardware and software.
- Knowledge of computerized mapping symbols, standards and terminology.
- Knowledge of computer programming using different languages as applicable to GIS systems.
- Skill in the use and operation of computers and peripheral equipment such as digitizers, plotters and drafting instruments.
- Ability to collect, organize and analyze data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to read and interpret aerial photographs, maps, deeds, and legal descriptions.
- Ability to work effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Work Category/Physical Demands
- Significant standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, pushing and pulling.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision,distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus in order to read computer screens and printouts.
- Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.