Interfaces with various Town departments in the collection of and incorporation into Geographical Information System (GIS), updates maps and all related data, performs data analysis, creates applications and programs, and assists with quality assurance of GIS.
Examples of Duties
• Provides data interpretation, cartography, data analysis, experimental design, and capturing data for conversion into GIS usable formats.
• Works with other departments under the GIS Manager's direction, with third party software requirements.
• Oversees the inclusion of third party data into GIS; performs data conversion and data organization for data entry into the system.
• Updates GIS programming, analytical functions, and related technologies (Internet/Intranet mapping, Databases/SDE).
• Creates models and scripts to automate work flows to move data into and out of GIS.
• Oversees the collection of data for input into GIS; performs data entry, conversion, and organization for inclusion into the system.
• Completes and supervises GPS data collection; compiles, rectifies, and enters into the GIS database; and reviews for quality assurance.
• Analyzes and performs quality checks on all GIS data; performs system analysis to ensure integrity of GIS.
• Analyzes data to generate effective reports, maps, and other technical documents.
• Utilizes SQL databases to import/export data in GIS.
• Provides information on GIS data, hardware, and software including instruction on GPS. Responds to mapping and information requests by Town employees, citizens, private companies, and other governmental agencies, as required.
• Utilizes programming to simplify GIS functions; performs various calculations and computations using the GIS.
• Creates applications and models as needed by users.
• Researches, imports, and interprets engineering construction plans, plats, legal metes, and bounds descriptions and various mapped information; extracts relevant information for data inclusion into GIS.
• Performs GIS analysis; digitizes, edits, and maintains ArcGIS and other geodatabases.
• Digitizes base maps, provides technical support to GIS users, plots maps, and maintains computer-based data and records.
• Troubleshoots technical problems, research, and resolves issues.
• Keeps work order details and up to date with the latest status.
• Provides technical guidance and training to other GIS staff as directed by the GIS Manager.
• Adheres to departmental, personnel, and safety policies and procedures.
• Attends regional meetings as required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Geography, Environmental Science, Urban Planning, or a related GIS field is required.
• Must possess a Texas driver's license and driving record must be in compliance with Town policy.
• Must have four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience using ESRI software.
• In lieu of a Bachelor's Degree and experience, must have five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience using ESRI software and be familiar with current software versions.
Must submit to and pass a post-offer, non-regulated drug test and thorough background checks (including criminal history).
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
• Must have a general working knowledge of current ESRI software and related extensions in a Windows environment.
• Knowledge of current versions of Azteca Cityworks, Microsoft SQL Server, ArcObjects, ArcPad, Visual Basic, and AutoCAD is a plus.
• Must have knowledge of current versions of spreadsheets, word processing, database, and graphics software.
• Must have knowledge of Geographic Information System concepts, design methods, procedures, techniques, and methodology; modern and complex principles and practices of record keeping; algebra, geometry, and statistics as applied to routine GIS computations.
• Must be able to multi-task and have a strong work ethic.
• Must be self-motivated, work well in a team-based environment, and maintain a high-degree of professionalism and integrity.
• Must have skills in operating and properly utilizing a variety of office equipment including plotter, computers, peripheral equipment, and printers.
• Must maintain a current knowledge of GIS procedures, establish and maintain cooperative working relationships, and communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Must make sound decisions using good judgment.
• Must be able to work nights and weekends, as needed.
• Must be able to read, write, talk, see, and hear.
• Must be able to operate various office equipment; push, pull and/or lift equipment and supplies; and lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.