The Senior Geographic Information System Analyst leads, assists, oversees, and participates with technical staff in the development and maintenance of the department's Geographic Information System (GIS). Guides the development and maintenance of web, desktop, and mobile applications that improve productivity, support departmental goals, and maintain the department's geospatial and non-GIS relational databases.
- Provides senior-level analytical support for various Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Technology projects using project management methodologies; assists in project planning, budget and data analysis, project management training, and development of project documents; provides advanced analysis, programming, and testing to support the Department of Aviation's Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Leads project development for GIS projects; overseeing project plan development, tracking, and scheduling, to ensure productivity and quality standards are maintained; provides training and education on project management methodology and phases such as planning, execution and result monitoring.
- Coordinates internal resources and third parties or vendors for the flawless execution of various projects; assists and supports in the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility; tracks project performance, analyzes the successful completion of short and long-term goals, and facilitates professional quality work; develops and facilitates comprehensive project plans and ensure the effective implementation for the professional delivery of all large scale projects and developments.
- Provides programming, coding, testing, and analysis to support the continual development and refinement of the City’s geographic information systems; ensures quality of other GIS Technician projects and provides feedback for improvement.
- Researches, collects, organizes, and analyzes data requested by departments; collaborates with managers to identify resources and solve information technology issues to support management objectives; observes and reviews the current system in operation and gathers and analyzes information about each of the parts of component problems, using a variety of sources.
- Provides guidance to technicians on projects; trains and assists GIS analyst and technicians on the effective use of databases, software, and other GIS equipment and tools.
- Develops and maintains web map applications that enable internal and external customers to search and retrieve information by location; writes scripts that copy and transform data from one or more sources into a destination system.; successfully extracts data from text files, web interfaces, or a relational database management systems.
- Assists in specification development, acquisition, installation and maintenance of software, hardware, and network materials to ensure smooth deployment of the GIS; provides daily, operational support to end user and systems in all areas of GIS deployment and use.
- Analyzes current and future software and hardware needs to determine modifications, additions, and deletions to existing system; makes recommendations to improve system reliance and performance and facilitates the effective implementation of new or updated systems.
- Serves as the liaison between Public Works and Communication and Information Services makes requests and recommendations on GIS desktop software that is the most appropriate for a end user, attends the GIS Technical Advisory Committee meeting, and participates in meetings related to GIS implementation at the enterprise level.
- Performs any and all other work as needed or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in geographic information systems (GIS), geography, computer science, planning or engineering field.
Three (3) years of experience in the management, design, and/or implementation of GIS with experience in any of the following:
- ESRI ArcGIS Desktop/Server
- Relational Database Management systems (RDBMS, SQL Server and/or Oracle).
- High school diploma or GED plus seven (7) years of the required experience will meet the education and experience requirements.
- An associate degree in any field plus five (5) years of the required will meet the education and experience requirements.
- A bachelor's degree or higher in a non-specified field plus five (5) years of the required experience will meet the education and experience requirements.
- A master's degree or higher in a specified field plus one (1) year of the required experience will meet the education and experience requirements.
- A Microsoft Certified Database Professional (MCDBA) or a Microsoft Certified Professional developer (MCPD) plus five (5) years of the required experience will meet the education and experience requirements.
- Mastery of ESRI for Desktop software, including advanced analysis, customization using .Net is required.
- Experience in database design, ideally in GIS web-based application development and implementation is required.
- Experience with development of data visualization and automated self-service reporting products is a plus.
- Ability to gather and analyze basic requirements and develop scopes of work for small projects.
Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP) Certification is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of graphics and mapping techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of GIS applications for mapping, notification, and zoning uses.
- Knowledge of Aviation GIS concepts with the ability to present analytical alternatives and develop geospatial solutions.
- Knowledge and experience with ESRI's ArcGIS software required.
- Knowledge of Python, HTML5, SQL, FME, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
- Knowledge of systems analysis techniques and relational database systems.
- Knowledge of computer programming and ability to use geographic information software.
- Knowledge of various software for use in graphics and mapping projects.
- Knowledge of training methods and performance measurement with ability to lead other subordinate staff.
- Knowledge of project management and project coordination.
- Ability to capture, convert, create, edit, manipulate, and maintain digital information in a GIS environment.
- Ability to analyze and develop logical solutions to information system problems
- Ability to lead and assist other Analysts and Technicians ensuring quality delivery of services and GIS data.
- Ability to make field observations.
- Ability to operate reproduction equipment.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
The salary listed on this job posting is the starting salary range; amount offered will depend upon qualifications.
For evaluation purposes, acceptable qualifying experience for all positions must have been in a paid capacity unless noted otherwise in the minimum qualifications for the posted position.
Additionally, 30+ hours per week will be counted as full-time employment and will receive full credit for the amount of time employed. A minimum of 15 through 29 work hours per week will be counted as part-time employment and will receive half credit for the amount of time employed.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.