SWCA's Geospatial Technologies program plays a key role in our company's recognized commitment to bringing sound science and creative solutions to our clients. We are seeking a knowledgeable GIS practitioner who is passionate about spatial science and technologies and enjoys solving challenges with innovations that delight and inspire. Our ideal candidate has a strong background in data analytics and modeling, database administration, web GIS applications, and development (front-end and back-end).
This position reports to the Rockies Region GIS Coordinator and supports and engages with GIS staff, project teams, and scientists across the region. It also supports corporate initiatives and projects as a member of SWCA's Geospatial Development workgroup. The Regional GIS Application Specialist will develop and maintain custom tools and solutions, promote and guide the practical application of GIS technologies; provide technical support for the GIS program; and help clients interpret data, identify trends, and highlight patterns. This fast-paced job requires the ability to multitask while maintaining technical precision and active engagement with numerous project teams.
The Regional GIS Application Specialist will support efforts including:
- Creating, updating, and/or improving GIS databases, tools, and applications
- Creating/maintaining sophisticated custom Survey123 forms (form logic, entry constraints, repeats, XLSForm design)
- Setup, guidance, and technical support of Collector applications for field data collection
- Designing advanced geoprocessing and data models
- Developing scripts and models for process and workflow automation; building tools and/or scripts to help in the automation of deliverables and the integration of spatial data with other programmable applications
- Supporting/troubleshooting applications used on Android tablets
- Authoring and providing guidance/oversight for web maps, web services, web applications
- Ensuring data (image, map, and feature services) meets data standards and formats
- Creating, and promoting the practical application of, configurable map applications (Dashboards, StoryMaps, simple custom apps)
- Providing multi-user geodatabase and Portal guidance and oversight
- Supporting map production, data management (especially fixing issues with multi-user geodatabases, distributed databases and replication), Portal utilization
- Providing technical leadership and guidance to other staff working on customization, extension, and automation efforts
- Performing quality assurance and quality control of geospatial data
- Developing training materials and manuals, coordinating and conducting user applications training; documenting processes for future use
- Responding to and resolving user inquiries
- Developing and maintaining user documentation; presenting GIS related subject matter to groups
- Streamlining mobile work and data collection environments
- Evaluating computer, hardware, and software systems for use in data collection, data processing, and other activities
- Testing and deployment of Enterprise ArcGIS solutions and software patches/upgrades before releasing to GIS staff
- Working with GIS leadership to test and improve company capabilities in GIS
Stand-out qualities for this role include:
- Pragmatic leadership and communication skills; ability to engage with staff at all levels of technical understanding
- Ability to effectively manage complex tasks and workflows
- Practiced application of Esri mobile apps (Survey123, Collector)
- Extensive utilization of ArcGIS Online and/or Enterprise Portal, and fluency with ArcGIS Pro
- Conceptual mastery of data management and organization best practices, especially within a multiuser geodatabase environment
- Scripting/development aptitude, efficiency, accuracy
Required technical capabilities/expertise:
- Python and Arcpy
- Android operating system
- GNSS technology
- ArcGIS Pro
- Multi-user geodatabases
- Collector and Survey123
- Database administration: (ETL processes, integration, structure, query) SQL, PostgeSQL
Additional skills that would be helpful:
- Arcade, .NET, PHP, HTML
- QGIS, Leaflet, Mapbox, or other open source tools
- Microsoft Flow
- Experience with SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft applications
- Responsive web design and UI frameworks (Bootstrap, Foundation, etc.)
- Native mobile application development (Swift/Obj-C, Esri Runtime SDK)
- Experience with server-side technologies (.NET, NodeJS, etc.)
- RESTful web services
- Cloud computing
- Unit testing and continuous integration and deployment
The ideal candidate should have the following skills and experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Geography, Cartography, Archaeology, Biology, Environmental Science or related field with an emphasis in GIS (or GIS certificate). Master's degree a plus. Equivalent experience and coursework is acceptable.
- A minimum of (5) five years of professional work beyond university attendance.
- Minimum of 3-year experience with Python or similar development language, and practical web and/or GIS application development experience
- Strong organizational skills related to scheduling time on projects and meeting deadlines while working within an organized file structure protocol.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cartography and computer mapping design principles and mapping automation procedures in ArcGIS.
- Understanding of basic statistics and geometric math computations (e.g., summary, distributions, frequency, min/max, range, angles, distance, slope, degrees, area)
- Ability to manage complex tasks, and to work effectively with large project teams and resolve issues that arise in an efficient and diplomatic manner.
- Demonstrated ability to apply spatial and 3D analyses, and raster math within ArcGIS while maintaining data integrity.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to produce presentations, and/or written protocol of methods for reports or within metadata to replicate GIS-related analyses or modeling techniques applied on projects is strongly preferred.
- Prior work experience with in natural or cultural resources management, remote sensing, and/or water resources, and prior experience working with federal land agencies such as the USFS, NPS, BLM, BOR, USGS, or other, is desirable.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.