Under the general supervision of the Director of Community Development, performs technical and professional planning and zoning duties in connection with the Town Code, as well as official conditions imposed by the Town Council, Planning Commission, and Board of Zoning Appeals. This position is also responsible for the operation, development, continued expansion, and maintenance of the Geographic Information System (GIS). The work calls for obtaining knowledge of the Town Code, land use regulations, and basic engineering principles. The work is performed with latitude for limited technical determination and independent planning of work details.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Position
- Interprets and stays updated on modern principles and practices of urban planning.
- Interprets and stays updated on basic engineering and construction practices.
- Attend meetings with developers, contractors, and the general public.
- Read and interpret plans and specifications.
- Presents concise oral and written reports to the various boards, councils and at educational events.
- Conduct site visits to investigate issues or to collect data in the field with the ability to walk long distances, climb, bend, and work under adverse temperatures and weather conditions.
- Operate ArcGIS software, computer equipment and network, including electronic files management.
- Assess and maintain hardware capabilities to meet software needs.
- Retrieve, edit and publish ArcGIS database and maps. Able to quickly and efficiently make maps and provide analysis.
- Manage the Town’s community development, engineering, public works, tourism and park department’s data layers.
- Notify Washington County Virginia GIS department and United States Postal Service of Address Changes or Creations.
- Investigate, research, and respond to discrepancies and inquiries or concerns; able to understand and research both land records and planning and zoning records (plat maps, parcel maps, site plans, zoning categories, etc.) for research and to ensure accuracy of the data.
- Develop training classes, guide manuals, and videos for users and staff. Assist field personnel with mobile application/device issues and field collection standards/techniques.
- Drive to and from town work sites. Perform additional duties as required. Be available for emergency call-outs.
- Using Survey 123, Manage, Update, Edit or Create Town Surveys and Applications.
- Upload and manipulate and/or Render Pix4d data and make available to all Town Departments and Pubic through ArcGIS and other resources.
Following are particular working conditions that are associated with this position:
- Standard office environment
- Outdoor environments including, but not limited to, construction sites and public facilities.
- Operation of motor vehicle
- Overnight travel on occasion
Conditions of Exposure
- Occasional exposure to inclement weather
Required Licenses and Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban or Regional Planning, Geography, GIS or related field
$47,000 – 62,000
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.