At Spire, we believe energy exists to help people. To enrich their lives, grow their businesses, advance their communities. It’s a simple idea, but one that’s at the heart of our business. We’re dedicated to understanding our customers’ needs and goals to better serve them today and tomorrow. That’s why we’re always looking for driven, collaborative people to join our team. Because we believe that offering our customers the best service means bringing together the best people.
We value safety, inclusion, and integrity. We connect to people, get the job done, and leave a memory and everything about our culture comes back to one thing: a handshake at the front door. We have 4 essential behaviors that show how the Spire culture comes to life:
Living Spire Behaviors
- We Collaborate: We reach across boundaries to connect with each other and deliver on our promises. We put teamwork first, knowing that our collective energy makes us stronger.
- We Care: We create good memories by treating people how we want to be treated: We are inclusive, respectful and kind. We actively create a caring culture that feels like a handshake at the front door.
- We Advance: We are active learners who never stop looking for ways to innovate and improve ourselves, and our company. We embrace ongoing development and process improvement with passion and tenacity.
We Have Perspective: We strive to gain additional perspective about Spire’s business and the ever-changing energy industry. We know that every employee plays an important role in Spire’s success, and we give our best to better understand how to help move the company forward.
Spire is seeking a GIS Intern. This position will be responsible for providing support to Spire's Geographical Information System (GIS) as well as performing analysis and updates to the GIS to maintain Spire's mapping records.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates GIS applications and extensions to perform query and analysis research.
- Assists in the collection of construction activity data on laptop computer, handheld devices such as PDA’s or GPS related equipment in the field for creating permanent records.
- Assists in the evaluation of hardware and software for GIS Systems.
- Generate content for GIS web application.
- Produce maps and other deliverables for internal and external customer.
- Editing of map features and its correlating attribute data in the GIS.
- Assist GIS and engineering staff with ongoing projects.
- Other duties as assigned
- All other duties as assigned
Essential Characteristics and Competencies
- Ability to lead by example in support of the Company’s essential characteristics and values: strong ethics and integrity, dedication to a safe work environment, commitment to a diverse workforce that recognizes and respects every individual’s unique skills and perspectives
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to adapt in a fast-moving and changing culture
- Strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to build and establish rapport with a diverse array of people
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively in order to meet individual goals and deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team and display a positive attitude for this dynamic environment
Required Education (certifications, licenses)
- Rising Junior or Senior in a Bachelor's Degree program for Geography, Geoscience, GIS or related field or Master’s Student
- 3.0 GPA required
Required knowledge, skill and abilities
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access
- Ability to perform edit, query and map functions using ArcGIS software
- Ability to use ArcServer
- Ability to learn to maintain data and create maps in a GIS mapping system
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, including producing well written reports with good sentence structure and minimal, if any, punctuation, spelling, and grammar errors
- Ability to work on several projects at once
- Ability to work independently
Physical demands, environment and schedule
Normal Work Environment
Typically, 7:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Monday through Friday
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.