At Dominion Energy we love our jobs. That’s right. Love. Every day we go to work filled with passion to be excellent, to creatively problem solve and to innovate. These are exciting days for energy companies, and Dominion Energy aims to shape the future of energy in America. We are looking at all of our work with fresh eyes, retooling everything we do, in every part of the company, to operate more sustainably and to deliver energy more reliably than ever. We are looking for interesting, independent thinkers and doers who can help shape the culture of a forward-looking company that’s proud of its rich legacy. Are you a change agent? Do you think differently? Do you want to fall in love with your job? If you answered “yes,” then read on!
At this time, Dominion Energy cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position.
This intern position will support the GIS – Distribution Mapping group. The group’s primary responsibility is to manage the GIS data entered into the company’s distribution gas enterprise geodatabase. Inspectors gather field GPS data and pipe installation records for service line and distribution main projects. This information is submitted by the inspector to then be entered into the GIS system by this group. Intern may participate in a variety of tasks or be assigned to a specific project. These tasks and/or projects may include; entry of pipe asset data into GIS system, conflation of legacy GIS data to improve spatial accuracy, GIS data reconciliation to improve quality and consistency of data shared between GIS and other integrated systems. These systems include CIS, Work Management, Records Management, Engineering, other GIS, and Compliance systems. Intern may be assigned to review existing workflows in order to create/update training documentation and make recommendations for improvement.
Successful candidate will report to the Supervisor-GIS.
- Complete various data editing functions within GIS software
- Complete simple and routine mathematical calculations
- Be able to understand and interpret complex GPS field collected data, inspector drawings, gas facility records, and engineering designs
- Assist team/project lead on GIS projects as directed
- Generate and manage project status reporting and workflow training documentation
- Perform spatial and data queries
- Be able to research, interpret, and reconcile historical pipe information from Records
- Management and GIS systems
- Maintain pipe records that involve working with platting processes and procedures to create and update pipe assets in GIS data model with supervision
- Make spatial adjustments to legacy GIS data to improve its accuracy (conflation)
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
- Operation and use of Esri ArcGIS Desktop
- Simple and routine mapping processes and procedures using GIS software and company pipeline documentation
- Basic GPS and survey practices
- GIS database terminology such as feature classes, attributes, relationships and system configuration (PODS data model and/or experience using linear referencing systems preferred)
- Routine data projections and raster geo-referencing
- Personal computer and software applications (i.e., Esri ArcGIS Desktop, Google Earth, Microsoft Office)
- Company standard practices and pipeline industry terminology
- Basic mathematics including algebra, geometry and trigonometry
- Problem solving skills
- Create shape files, personal geodatabases, feature datasets, features, attributes, relationships and spatial references
- Convert GIS data formats; support map files published for ArcGIS Server
- Read civil and mechanical engineering design drawings, field notes and surveys; understand and respond to written and oral instructions
- Interact effectively in-person, by electronic communication and by telephone
- Write using proper format, punctuation, grammar and spelling
- See objects at close range
- Determine the distance and relationship between objects
- Work independently with minimal supervision
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Be courteous to co-workers and customers, follow directions from supervisors
- Must be pursuing a bachelor's degree or certificate in Geography, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or a related degree from an accredited institution
- Students must have an anticipated graduation date of winter 2021 or later.
- Must have a minimum of 2.5 GPA, 3.0 or above is preferred.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.