CITY OF FLAGSTAFF
Flagstaff is the largest community in the high country and is the county seat for Coconino County, the largest county in the United States. A historic Route 66 town, Flagstaff is ideally located at the juncture of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40. Though still reflecting a small town atmosphere, it maintains a selective growth plan with new expansion programs underway.
The City of Flagstaff is Northern Arizona’s Employer of Choice! Our City government is devoted to enhancing the quality of life of our citizens and the experience of the many visitors who are attracted to Northern Arizona.
Date Posted: May 3, 2019
Vacancy No: 059-19
Position Title: IT Specialist - GIS
Division / Section: Management Services / Information Technology
Position Status: Full Time; FLSA Exempt; Benefit Eligible
Work Week: Monday – Friday; Winter Hours 8am-5pm; Summer Hours 7am-4pm
Salary Range: $23.0688 - $25.8371 Per Hour DOE
Closing Date: May 24, 2019
Actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values. Under direction of the IT Director or designee, employees of this class are expected to perform day-to-day activities associated with an assigned area of the IT Division.
An IT Specialist is differentiated from the technician level position by the fact that staff in this classification requires a greater level of experience, and are expected to work with medium supervision.
- Supervisory: This job does not have formal supervisory responsibilities.
- Budgetary: This job does not have budgetary responsibilities but carries out day-to-day activities within approved budget.
- Strategic Planning: This job does not have strategic planning responsibilities but carries out day-to-day activities in order to reach the stated goals and objectives.
- Policies/Procedures: This job carries out day-to-day activities in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Compliance: This job carries out day-to-day activities in accordance with Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations as well as City policies and procedures.
- Council Communications: This job carries out day-to-day activities in accordance with Council’s adopted priorities and direction.
- Reporting: This job does not have duties related to reporting to Federal/State/Local agencies.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Maintains confidentiality and security with regard to data access.
- Keeps pace with IT technology trends through training, periodicals and experimentation in a test environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undertakes discipline specific GIS user need studies.
- Assists in designing, developing, maintaining, documenting, and implementing discipline specific applications and databases.
- Assists in manipulating GIS data to create informational reports to meet discipline specific needs.
- Assists in the maintenance of enterprise GIS data and applications.
- Two-year degree in Computer Science.
- Four years of related on-the-job experience.
- Or any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
- Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Working knowledge of PC hardware, software and peripherals.
- Experience working in a Microsoft Windows and Office environment.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be a productive and effective team player.
- Ability to work under pressure and successfully complete time-sensitive tasks.
- Strong organizational skills, self-motivated and able to prioritize tasks.
- Strong aptitude for attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience with ESRI software.
- Working knowledge of relational database principals.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to feel, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear; is regularly required to sit; and is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or smell.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, regularly list and or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- There are no special vision requirements for this position.
- Working conditions include occasionally working near moving mechanical parts, and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- There are no pre-employment physical requirements for this position.
- There are no pre-employment testing requirements for this position.
- There are no pre-employment vaccination requirements for this position.
- Range 10, B-2-6, FLSA non-exempt
TO APPLY ONLINE:
In order to apply for this position you will have to fill out a City of Flagstaff application on our website. Visit our website to apply or for more information on this position and other opportunities. You will find complete job descriptions, requirements and application information at: http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/jobs
NOTE: Applications are due to the Human Resources department by 4PM on the closing date regardless of the postmarked date.
TO APPLY IN PERSON:
Applications are available and can be turned in at: 211 W. Aspen Ave., Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Call our general information line at (928) 213-2090 or (800) 463-1389 to request an application by mail. Fax your resume to (928) 213-2089 or E-mail: email@example.com
Additional information about current and open job vacancies can also be found by calling our job line at (800) 463-1389.
The City of Flagstaff is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, or protected Veteran status.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Paid Holidays • Paid Vacation Days • Paid Sick Days • Health/Dental/Life/Vision Insurance
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.