Under minimal supervision, functions as a Geospatial Analyst. The position is responsible for interpreting, storing, manipulating, analyzing and managing environmental and geographical data for the Environmental Services office at WYDOT. The Geospatial Analyst will be responsible for developing and maintaining databases, produce environmental resource maps, support environmental document preparation, provide project research and assist with other GIS projects at WYDOT as needed. The Geospatial Analyst helps in assisting WYDOT meet state and federal environmental requirements.
Human Resource Contact: 307-777-4467
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Manages environmental databases - Maintains project data for cultural surveys, wildlife surveys, wildlife roadway corridor, wetland mitigation sites and other miscellaneous resource locations throughout the state.
- Develops customized queries and reports from the databases utilizing highly technical and specialized software for internal WYDOT use and to provide to state and federal agencies.
- Performs a variety of analyses associated with maintaining accurate and up to date environmental database.
- Environmental Document/Cartography Preparation -Manages the ES spatial database.
- Produces maps for inclusion into National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents and for assigning consultant work.
- Assists with environmental mapping for statewide corridor planning. Utilizes various programs to incorporate consultant data into usable format for use with WYDOT software.
- Provides cartography to various stakeholders, including federal agencies, state agencies, varied WYDOT programs, citizens and consultants.
- Prepares and provides staff with environmental resource data for NEPA compliance.
- Routinely reviews environmental documents to ensure cartography is accurate for the project and displayed in a clear and concise manner.
- Project Coordination and Support - Assists Environmental Staff Coordinators with monitoring environmental activities and documentation to assist the ES section in meeting section goals.
- May attend plan reviews, public meetings, and other project related meetings as a representative for WYDOT Environmental Services.
- Provides technical support for environmental staff and occasionally provide field support for environmental investigations.
- Maintains the WYDOT environmental services website with current project data and environmental improvements created by WYDOT.
- Project Research - Performs environmental research and analyzes data on projects to compile resource concerns for project meetings.
- Using judgement and knowledge of project status, reviews and analyzes bi-monthly district project reports.
- Preference will be given to applicants that are familiar with CAD software, specifically Bentley Microstation.
- Preference will be given to applicants that are familiar with Primavera Software or other scheduling software.
- Need demonstrated knowledge of GIS software, specifically ArcMap.
- Knowledge of database management software (SOL, Access, Excel, etc.)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Software
- Knowledge of the Google Suite of software
- Knowledge of Federal and State agency procedures and policies
- Knowledge of time and project management
Bachelor's Degree (typically in Geography or GIS)
0-1 year of progressive work experience (typically in Geography or GIS) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Map Editor.
Education & Experience Substitution:
3-4 years of progressive work experience (Geography or GIS) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Map Editor.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
This position takes place in an average work environment.
E-Verify: WYDOT uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
045-Department of Transportation - WYDOT-Engineering & Planning - Planning - Environmental Services
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.