The GIS Analyst II performs complex duties in the development and maintenance of Tulalip Tribes GIS system, which supports the GIS needs of all tribal departments. It requires advanced knowledge of GIS concepts and software, as well as GIS dataset types and formats. Responsibilities include web application development, multiuser geodatabase design and management, custom map production, geospatial analysis, and field data collection. This position will lead others in their daily work activities, check the work of others, and provide direction, when needed.
Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, geography; OR two plus years of college education with a GIS Certificate from accredited school; experience may be considered as a substitute for the above education. (Upload or attach copy of degree or transcript with application).
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Current GIS technologies (including hardware, software, and handheld tools) and industry trends
- Analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Visual communication and data mapping theories
- GIS production of complex cartographic and other spatial data displays
- GIS web-mapping applications served to internal and external users
- Project management, planning, organization, and customer service skills
- Database techniques to process and analyze geo-spatial datasets
- SQL Database administration in support of geodatabases
- Scientific research and data collection techniques
- User Acceptance Testing, metadata, hardware/software configurations, and GIS standards
- Communicate effectively by oral, written, and by other graphical means
- Read, understand, and apply technical manuals and procedures
- Maintain required records and prepare necessary reports
- Independently analyze problems and assist others in GIS analysis
- Apply critical thinking and problem solving skills to business needs
- Learn new programs, platforms, and tools to finish specific analysis and tasks
- Complete multiple competing projects and meet deadlines
- Effectively function as a team member
- Analyze customer needs and business systems
- Convey technical information to non-technical users
- Administer geodatabases in a MS SQL environment
- Train users in GIS products and promote GIS solutions
- Work with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Understand disciplines of other department and entities
Two or more years’ of full time work experience using ESRI software as GIS Analyst, GIS Specialist or GIS Technician. This experience must include extensive time collecting field data, creating maps, geoprocessing, database management, and customizing ESRI software using Python.
LICENSE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License or ability to obtain one within 2 months of start date (Required – please attach copy to application form).
- Must have no misuse of drugs and/or alcohol within two (2) years prior to employment or while employed.
- Must have excellent attendance record and no attendance disciplinary actions with in the last six (6) months.
- Must have no history of suspension, last chance agreement or dismissal with in the last (6) months.
- Must have a successful employment history with the Tulalip Tribes or other employers.
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS AND/OR PREREQUISITES
Work is performed in an office environment with some field trips to locations in and around the Tulalip Reservation for the purpose of data collection and fieldwork.
- Manual and finger dexterity for the operation of personal computer, office machines and routine paperwork.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Seeing to view a computer monitor and read a variety of maps and documents, tolerance to be exposed to computer screen for prolonged periods.
- Stamina to sit, stand and/or walk for prolonged periods in any weather condition in outdoor terrain while carrying equipment and supplies during filed studies.
- Mobility to bend, stoop, and/ or climb stairs including.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES PERFORMED
- GIS data collection (including fieldwork), geodatabase development, geodatabase maintenance, geodatabase administration, data conversion, digitization, data editing and integration, and other database administration duties.
- Produce wide array of GIS products including cartographic maps, map books, web maps, electronic files, web pages and REST services.
- Spatial analysis, 3D analysis, data modeling, scripting, and reporting.
- Operate and support various software applications including: ArcGIS Enterprise (Required), ArcGIS Desktop 10.x (Required), ArcGIS Pro (Preferred), ArcGIS for Server 10.x (Preferred), Web AppBuilder (Preferred), Autodesk Civil 3D (Preferred).
- Operate and support various hardware devices including: small Unmanned Aerial Systems / UAVs (Required), Survey grade GPS (Required), Total Station (Preferred), Ground Penetrating Radar (Preffered).
- Create documentation to describe the data (metadata), program development, logic, coding, and corrections.
- Train and support users in the use of GIS applications (including ArcGIS), other GIS products and promote GIS solution to departments.
- Contributes to and leads projects by reviewing existing data, recommending data needs, accessing available digital data from other sources, and determines analyses to fulfill project requirements.
- Lead others in their daily work activities, check the work of others, and provide direction, when needed.
- Work with GIS staff and other tribal department staff on various extended projects.
- Perform routine maintenance of GIS-related hardware such as survey grade GPS devices, plotters, scanners, PC, laptops, tablets, and other devices and tools.
- Communicate positively with internal and external customers to address their needs promptly, and following through on commitments.
- Detailed evaluations of existing and proposed systems and related operational procedures, and recommend necessary changes.
- Utilize computer technology to perform research, analyze and transfer data, write reports, and present data and documentation.
Perform related duties as needed and assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a Regular Full-time position, requiring at least 40 hours per week, or 2080 hours per year. Employee may be required to work after hours, weekends, special events and/or on call. Upon successful completion applicable probationary period employee may be eligible for an increase in pay, subject to budgetary restriction. Employees will be required to work on-site, no telecommuting. No provisions for relocation will be provided.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.