This classification creates or provides Automated Mapping/Facilities Management and/or Geographic Information System (AM/FM/GIS) products and services, using established and modified computer programs.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
- Performs complex GIS processing tasks by using ARC Macro Language (AML), ARC/INFO routines and/or LISP programs to produce complex reports, maps and related GIS products and services;
- Codes, digitizes, verifies and edits electronic maps and their related geographic attributes;
- Performs spatial overlays of geographically-related information;
- Plans and sequences processing steps for database maintenance;
- Quality checks, edits and documents data and procedures;
- Assists in training user in AM/FM/GIS computer hardware, software and procedures;
- Creates and documents AM/FM/GIS software programs;
- Documents AM/FM/GIS standards and procedures;
- Meets with service requestors of products or services to better define their needs or identify problems encountered;
- May act as lead for data entry specialists on complex or unique projects.
- AM/FM/GIS computer hardware, software, programming and peripheral devices;
- machine language(s) appropriate to area of assignment;
- principles, techniques, and applications of geographic database management and quality
- control or data automation, maintenance, processing and display;
- computer-based mapping and digitizing procedures;
- cartography, map-reading, geometry, and mathematics;
- research methods including analysis and documentation of results;
- effective training and communication techniques.
- operating and applying AM/FM/GIS computer hardware, software, and peripheral devices;
- maintaining, using and manipulating computer database files to reports and maps;
- verifying accuracy of data using source documents;
- using appropriate machine language(s) and creating AM/FM/GIS software programs;
- identifying, analyzing and resolving problems applicable to AM/FM/GIS hardware and software;
- conducting, organizing, analyzing, and documenting AM/FM/GIS program research;
- training and communicating effectively.
(1) An Associate's (or higher-level) degree, diploma or certification from an accredited college, university, vocational or technical school in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Automated Mapping/Facility Management (AM/FM), Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), remote sensing, cartography, geography, programming, computer science, or management information systems.
(2) Two years of technical experience in the support and maintenance of a computerized AM/FM/GIS or CAD/CADD database, which included the production of maps, plats and cartographic reports, products and services.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience editing and maintaining GIS base layers such as parcel boundaries, streets, rights-of-way, easements, etc. using Autodesk and/or Esri products.
- Experience using relational databases and performing attribute field queries.
- Experience researching background documentation and/or data, e.g. legal documents, construction plans, databases, etc.
- Experience in interpreting legal descriptions and legal documents (e.g. subdivision plats) and generating GIS features from them.
- Experience with data quality review and formulating solutions.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.