The purpose of the position is to support the City of Richmond's Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Program. The position is responsible for GIS applications development, maintenance, management and use of the City's Geodatabase. The position works within a general outline of work to be performed, and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision.
• Exercised: Classification typically does not supervise.
• Note: Other reporting relationships may apply
Example of Duties:
The City of Richmond Department of Public Works is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst. The incumbent is responsible for providing support and maintenance to the City's Geographic Information Systems (GIS) programs.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting to mid-level spatial analysis using ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop, geodatabase and various database platforms to support business and project needs, including the City's asset management system
- Responding to requests for specific information by using spatial analysis skills with existing or by constructing new layers for GIS, data conversion, database design, and using analysis results to produce reports, maps and supporting documentation
- Defining requirements for new layers or applications of GIS
- Ensuring compatibility of new initiatives and efforts with the existing geodatabases and interfacing with other departments and Enterprise GIS
- Providing technical support, test plans and training to all internal customers
- Assisting with identifying GIS project costs and budgets
- Implementing knowledge of application development processes
- Conducting business process analysis or reengineering and proposal development
- Automating analysis routines using GIS-based object-oriented programming or scripting languages
- Providing general direction for assigned programs and major responsibilities
**THIS IS A CLOSED RECRUITMENT.
Only City of Richmond government employees will be considered.**
Qualifications, Special Certifications and Licenses:
- Requires Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Geography, Earth Sciences, Information Systems, or a related field, with a concentration in GIS technology
- Requires three (3) years of work experience
- An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification
- No special certification or license required
- Experience in Cityworks software is essential to this position
- Three (3) or more years of experience developing and implementing new GIS applications and tools
- Two (2) or more years of programming experience using Python
- Three (3) or more years of experience managing and maintaining an SDE geodatabase
- Skill in maintaining and incorporating enhancements to existing GIS applications and tools
- Proven project management experience
- Ability to work with information from a relational database such as SQL
- Experience in providing a detailed inventory and summation of software products
PHYSICAL AND DEXTERITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Physical and dexterity refers to the requirement for physical exertion and coordination of limb and body movement.
- Requires sedentary work that involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time; requires little or no dexterity.
- Environmental hazards refer to the job conditions that may lead to injury or health hazards even though precautions have been taken.
- The job risks exposure to no known environmental hazards.
- Sensory ability refers to hearing, sight, touch, taste, and smell required by the job.
- Requires normal visual acuity, field of vision, depth perception, hearing, and speaking.
The City of Richmond, Virginia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.