Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Director of Management Systems and Data Administration, the primary role of the GIS Supervisor is to oversee the development, implementation, and maintenance of the campus Geographical Information System (GIS), including space and building data. These campus-wide duties are implemented in partnership with other university departments, including central Enterprise GIS and the GIS stakeholder groups to facilitate access, as appropriate, to facilities related to GIS data across the campus community and ensure new projects are properly documented with Enterprise GIS for project initiation. This position will also interface with local government, such as the Town of Blacksburg and Montgomery County to ensure compatibility with regional GIS applications. The GIS supervisor will also work closely with departments within Facilities to address individual needs and requirements. The GIS Supervisor will maintain a basic knowledge of the Facilities information System (FIS) and will work to ensure the sharing and consistency of data elements that are common to the system. This position will also assist in the development of time efficient processes, tool the continued development of next generation technology related to geospatial systems. The GIS Supervisor will directly manage the GIS section and supervise the full-time and part-time staff, including surveyor and technicians by providing guidance and oversight for data collection, input, structure, archival, and dissemination to maintain a robust and comprehensive facilities GIS system for Virginia Tech.
- Working knowledge of GIS principles and practices.
- Working knowledge of AutoCad principals and practices.
- Familiarity and hands on experience with ESRI and AutoDesk software relating to facilities mapping.
- Demonstrated experience in mapping buildings and site/utility infrastructure using GIS applications.
- Experience working with multiple user groups to achieve common goals.
- Experience managing teams and projects to accomplish shared goals, and to align the team’s goals with the mission and goals of the division and the university.
- Previous supervisory/management experience.
Employment Conditions: Must have a criminal background check, Must provide own transportation on regular basis, Must have an acceptable and safe driving record, Must have a driver's license check
Must have a conviction check: Yes
- Travel between work sites on campus is required.
- Must maintain driver’s license and eligibility to operate a state owned motor vehicle.
- May need to work additional hours outside of normal schedule to meet the needs of the department and division.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.